What mechanism is used for identity and privacy in Aragon?

In this system, how are people authenticated and are their privacy respected?

Hey Nahid, great question.

Users are identified and authenticated by their Ethereum keys. Membership in a DAO is determined by ownership of tokens, which give the users permission to various functions in the organisation. Privacy is inherited from the privacy on ethereum. If you want to participate in a DAO privately, I would suggest using fresh keys and tornedo.cash

This is an excellent read with tips for extra safety https://lightco.in/2019/08/07/tornado-review/

Hi Aaron, Thank you for your answer
I apologize if my questions are too basic : )
If users are identified and authenticated by their Ethereum keys, How are Ethereum keys tied to people’s true identities?
and i read in Aragon Whitepaper "For human verdicts, the decisions of the judges are submitted using a two-step reveal of their decision for keeping it private for the whole decision making and not
allowing the verdicts of other judges to influence their decision. This scheme is used
in the auctions for Ethereum Name Service domain name registry. It works as
follows:
After deciding on the verdict, the judge will generate a secret random number
and submit the hash and their decision to the court, while keeping the secret private.
When the period for submitting verdicts is over, judges must reveal what their
verdict was by providing their secret number. Then every one can check the validity
of their verdict. Failure to reveal the secret results in a big penalization of the judge
bond."
i couldn’t understand this statments the judge will generate a secret random number
and submit the hash and their decision to the court, while keeping the secret private. if a judge votes “yes” or “no” to a “subject under consideration” the hash of “yes” or the hash of “no” is always a constant output, then What is the random number used for?How do we use a random number to hide our vote? What privacy mechanism is used here?

im not sure which version of the white paper thats from @light and @lkngtn will be able to give more of a detailed answer but essentially, keys do not need to be tied to real world identities. The cryptoeconomic model is designed for them to be pseudonymous if they wish.

the judge will generate a secret random number
and submit the hash and their decision to the court

this is not to keep the decision secret after the ruling, it is so other judges cant see which way the majority is voting and enter their ruling at the last instance. the way the court works is by majority ruling. if you do not vote with the majority you will loose some of your stake

1 Like

Thanks for your attention