In AGP-1 it states:
Aragon Network vote cycles take place quarterly on the following days, starting at 00:00 UTC time and lasting for 48 hours:
- Fourth Thursday of January
- Fourth Thursday of April
- Fourth Thursday of July
- Fourth Thursday of October
The Association board review session begins two weeks before the next Aragon vote cycle is scheduled to begin and ends one week before the next vote cycle is scheduled to begin.
[UPDATE: AGP-16 recently changed the dates to 4th Thursday instead of 3rd… made edits to reflect that]
To make this easier to explain, let’s call the vote that just happened ANV-1 and the last one this year ANV-4. Some cons of the current schedule:
- Based on the current cycle, this means that ANV-5’s proposal due date will end up being the second week of January. A lot of people are gone for the holidays from late December until early January, so this can be difficult for people writing AGPs in that cycle, as far as receiving feedback.
- Based on the current cycle, this means that the Aragon Network fiscal year may be construed to begin on February, which can be odd. For example, Aragon One and Aragon Association just got approved for 2019 budgets, what dates in 2019 is that? Does that also cover the first month of 2020? Or does it cover “back pay” for January 2019 – e.g. will the costs incurred in Jan 2019 be reduced from the amount approved in the vote?
I think we should create an AGP to submit in ANV-2 that will adjust this schedule so AGP finance proposals are awarded in a more traditional quarterly fashion and it’s more clear that a yearly budget is indeed for that year
One way to accommodate for this change is to adjust the current schedule. The easiest and least disruptive way that I think this can be accomplished is by delaying ANV-4 by 6 weeks. I propose that instead of the fourth Thursday of October, that the vote ends up occurring on the second Thursday of December.
Additionally, I propose changing the Association review beginning ~four weeks before the vote – e.g. people would have to submit their AGPs by the second Thursday of November for this specific example.
This will then:
- Provide the community more time to review the proposals officially approved by the AA, and more time for proposers to rally up / campaign up to the vote [spending time/energy on a campaign before you know if AA has approved or not can be embarrassing if proposal is rejected by AA]
- Allow the Aragon Network to be on a more traditional quarterly system, so it is clear what a 2019 or 2020 budget is.
- Remedy the case where one of the current ANV submission periods is during a time where a lot of people take time off work
So then the new schedule of vote start days, beginning ANV-4 would be as follows:
- ANV-4: Second Thursday of December [Finance track funding awarded for Q1+]
- ANV-5: Second Thursday of March […funding for Q2+]
- ANV-6: Second Thursday of June […funding for Q3+]
- ANV-7: Second Thursday of September [… funding for Q4+]
Association review period begins ~four weeks [2nd Thursday minus one month] before the vote start date, meaning the AGPs must become Stage IV “Final Proposal” by the following dates:
- ANV-4: Second Thursday of November
- ANV-5: Second Thursday of February
- ANV-6: Second Thursday of May
- ANV-7: Second Thursday of August
Aragon Network calendar:
- Q1 = Jan, Feb, March
- Q2 = April, May, June
- Q3 = July, August, Sept
- Q4 = Oct, Nov, Dec
Aragon Networks fiscal year begins January.
Let me know what people’s thoughts are!