The Health of the Aragon Tech Ecosystem

With the recent outflow of contributors from the Aragon One team the health of the Aragon ecosystem has changed, but how much? Have the recent events been significant of do they actually have a marginal impact?

There’s been an opinionated response from the community. This post + analysis tries to take a more data-driven approach to determine the impact of the recent outflow.

You can find the in-depth analysis (data, source + calculations) here: Aragon Tech Health Analysis.

Key Findings

Aragon One can be considered dead

Aragon One as a company can be considered dead. 17 out of the 19 members mentioned on it’s Team page have left over the last year.

Aragon’s Tech is mostly abandoned

Most repositories have lost the majority (>90%) of their contributors by weight (see analysis here: Repository Health).

What now?

This is my question to leadership @luis @joeycharlesworth. With such a massive reduction of the team that knows the Aragon tech inside out, what is next? Will the Vocdoni team act as a drop-in replacement?

2 Likes

Oh shit . . now I am worried . .

Aragon One has contributed enormously to the network and we were very sorry to learn of these resignations. Development from the group has understandably dropped, as we see from this report. It is important to remember that Aragon is made up of multiple developer groups and projects, with Vocdoni being the most recent development team to join the network, which we’re incredibly excited about. This said, we recognise the need for more hands on deck and will be incentivising more development teams to build on Aragon. Several new hires have already been made to address the talent gap (they will need some time to get upto speed) and the Aragon Association will continue making grants to more development teams to continue working on and improving Aragon infrastructure.

The Aragon Experts program will also receive a lot more resources to better align incentives going forward and improve product development feedback cycles. With the launch of the Aragon Network DAO just around the corner, we’re also aiming for an increasing number of grants and infrastructure maintenance proposals to be decided upon directly by ANT holders, in a decentralised manner with ANT holders at the helm. The ecosystem is growing all the time.

2 Likes

That makes me feel a little better but I am still anxious now . .

After looking at a number of my Aragon DAO options for a while now, I think one of the highest priority ones will be required to be built around a legal NSW (Australia) Co-op model - is this the sort of thing that a grant would support?

Definitely interested in growing Aragon’s reach in the Worker Collective space. Never heard about the NSW co-op model specifically, but on googling this, it seems like it could potentially fit very nicely alongside Aragon Agreements. Might need to make some amendments however for the agreements to be legally enforceable under Australian law but I think that can be achieved by opening up the arbitration options. Would certainly love to learn more about this if you have some good resources to share!

1 Like

@joeycharlesworth ,

Thanks for responding! I have been hanging around the LAO Telegram group for a while trying to get more info and maybe find an Aus lawyer who might be interested in getting involved but haven’t get any responses at all so far . .

It would be great if I could set up NSW co-ops run by DAOs for two reasons:

1. My own use cases

2. I would like to be the NSW “expert” that other potential Aragon-based DAO users in NSW came to for consulting.

tagging @josenuno in case he would like to chime in here.