Technical Support Guild Budget Proposal - December, 2021 and Q1, 2022

It is my understanding that many on the guild will sell most of their ANT to pay for food, bills, etc creating sell pressure on the token and not build governance power. They may be more likely to hold it if they get 15%. ANT token is not intended to be a medium of exchange. That aside, if there is no option based on the holdings and plans of the Executive SubDAO there may be no choice but to use the funding resources available to it.

For Q2 I was brainstorming a matching program, with a max amount, based on the number of ANT tokens the guild member already has in their wallet. This forces them to hold some ANT. But tI have not worked this out yet and that is Q2, not this proposal.

@lee0007
Let’s do 50:50 ANT:Stable coin

Let’s bump up the December payment to 5625.

Also, I feel more of the work is going to be done in bounties. If 3k is set per month and larger projects require more money, the project will sit until the next month. So if we put the Bounty at 4500 per month it would alleviate this concern.

Also, the pay is subjective for technical support. When searching for pay you can find it as low as 24k USD and higher than $100k. I checked with my local ISP and they pay $24 an hour for tier 2 support to solve basic customer internet connection. I think we can all agree that supporting DAOs takes a more technical person and therefore should be paid more. Bumping pay to $37.50/hr should be sufficient. To account for this, the monthly distribution will be a max of 12,000 with carry over.

I do not want to set a standard that we look at the number of hours performed. This is impossible to get because the nature of how we are decentralizing. No one is required to punch in or out. Compensation will be distributed with a coordinape circle rewarding those that give good output, regardless of time spent. Good output is what we are after, not number of hours logged.

So the new numbers looks as such:
December payment: 5625
Per month distributed with coordinape circle: 12,000 per month for 48,000 total
Bounty per month: 4500 per month for 18000 total
Total of 66000

2 Likes

Thank you for making the effort to recalibrate the budget @brent. This project has my 100% support cc @fartunov @daniel-ospina

1 Like

Numbers have been updated in the proposal above. @eaglelex, @lee0007, @fartunov

Let me know of there are any other concerns

1 Like

@eaglelex,

Given the technical knowledge requested in order to give assistance, it is necessary to establish a very rigourous onboarding procedure: skills and capabilities of new members should be carefully assessed. Moreover, I think that the overall amount of guild members should be somehow related to the amount of work and the budgetary request.

Since this task is not decentralized yet, I am making sure we have the required number of guild members to make sure tickets are replied to within 24 hours and resolved in under 36hrs on average. Currently we are way under these metrics with a response time of 4hrs and 19min, and an average resolution time of 7hrs.

Tomorrow we are having a technical support guild meeting if you want to join. We will be discussing many things, among them: onboarding and offboarding members to the guild. Currently I am the one who has the power to do this and can accurately vet potential candidates given my background. Our discussion will entail how we can decentralize this process so I am not the decision maker but at the same time ensure we have only new members joining who have the skillsets required while also not being over/under capacity given the current or forecasted state of support.

I see @fartunov and @lee0007 have given their approval. I have not received an approval from @daniel-ospina yet Did you have any concerns?:

1 Like

I am also on board with the proposal. Looking forward to the guild crushing it throughout Q1.
@brent please share the payload from the Coordinape circle with @AlexClay and @mheuer in Discord and we’ll try to schedule the payment to happen before EOY

2 Likes

Correction for December.
The total members on board are 6, not 5. Distribution will be set to 6750 which is the same proportion as before, only adding the additional member. Posting here for transparency as the December report was also included here.

2 Likes

December contributor reward payment scheduled for execution in 7 days

1 Like

January Monthly Report

Support Deliverables

• Monthly Tech Support distribution is awaiting the end of the 2nd epoch in Cordinape. It was increased from December 2021’s amount and will be scheduled for 4500 USDC and 857.142 ANT @ $5.25/ant for a total of $9000 USD value
  • During the month of January, the guild has helped 186 customers with 216 conversations in Help Scout alone and does not include Discord and other channels of communication.
  • Proficiency increased to 67% of tickets being resolved in under 4 hours and 58% resolved on the first reply.
  • The guild has started creating saved replies for common questions reducing research time responding for common errors
  • Tickets are now being tagged with keywords. The most common tag added for January was ANT token upgrade
  • Most issues are resolved with less research after the guild has gained more direct experience and knowledge of resolutions to common problems.

Bounties

• A bounty was started at the end of December 2021 carrying over to Jan 3rd to ensure ticket resolution over Christmas and New Years while a lot of the Aragon team was away. This bounty was named “Aragon Santa Support” and was distributed via cordinape circle totaling $2000 USD split 50:50 USDC and ANT
  • A bounty was setup and completed to investigate the ideal platform to combine all of Aragon’s technical documentation and to create a table of contents reflecting all current documentation across all help docs and add any missing topics. The FAQ was also reviewed and updated. Total distribution was decided via cordinape and totaled $2240
  • A bounty was setup and is currently underway to complete the “Fundamentals” and Aragon Client sections of the documentation in Gitbook and link to the forum for additional helpful information from the community (the forum platform/location is currently under discussion). The bounty will be complete when the guild has reached consensus it is complete and considers feedback from the community. $4,500 is the total amount to be distributed as 2250 USDC and 505.61 ANT @ a conversion rate of 1ANT/$4.45 USD after a cordinape circle is completed.
  • Additional bounties were created for 100 USDC each to create video content over each of the topics in the Aragon Client and to be included at the end of the documentation. Each video will follow a template set by the first completed video to be uniform. Intense production value will not be required as the videos will be updated when Zaragoza is released. The feedback and experience making these videos will help to improve for the Zaragoza documentation.

Decentralization progress

1. Removed my sole ability to onboard new members to the guild. To start, I must have the consensus of at least one guild member.
  2. Started the process of having the guild involved in the administration of their own cordinape circles. I have suggested multiple options how to delegate admin control of their circle but ultimately they must make the decision how to proceed
  3. Removed my control of the Tech Support guild Notion page and handed it over the administration process to the guild in which it was decided that myself and one guild member would manage it, allowing other members to collaborate and make changes with us.
  4. Created an additional discord server as an experiment. Testing what makes sense, what does not when making decisions directly about Aragon support and bounties or discussions about the guild in general: i.e guild membership.
  5. Increased awareness of my role as a leader, not a commander. Being more of an observer allowing freedom of decision making offering suggestions, guidance, and input. Not making top down decisions that effect the guild without discussion and consensus.
  6. Started thought experiments with members of the Cordinape discord to create a structure that allows bounty compensation amounts to be set by the guild or receivers of compensation. Yes, you set the price for the bounty given to you within constrains set by the Aragon Association and total monthly budget. Currently the theory is estimates of bounties by guild members with seniority will affect the total average more than a new guild member as the senior is concerned with obtaining future bounties and has a record of trust. This allows those who are most experienced to set the actual going rate of a bounty.

Concerns

• Due to some of the Aragon Govern issues with USDC distributions, the technical support team has received numerous notifications that disbursements are scheduled but many were not executed by Govern properly. Multiple distributions had to be scheduled individually after waiting 7 days creating long delays in compensation. This has raised concern for guild members that depend on the timing of their compensation. If Aragon can not execute compensation properly it jeopardize the guilds ability to function. @AlexClay, as some of you may know, is focusing on a resolution to this issue while making sure everyone is compensated for broken Govern executions. It seems like there is a plan in place coming soon, his transparency has reduced any affect on the guild.
  • Guild membership is down to 4 which does not include myself. One member has taken some time away to focus on school. Another member has decided not to do technical support tickets and only wants to participate on bounties. The guild will be discussing parameters for membership and who is able to participate in TSG bounties. If membership falls to 2, the guild is at risk of being unable to deliver its tasks efficiently.
  • There is not enough support to warrant raising compensation for resolving technical support issues. If we add more members to the guild, compensation per member will be reduced leaving the guild to look elsewhere for a livable wage.

Forward Objectives:

• Adding additional members to the guild is the number one priority to ensure its stability. A new member was onboarded and then disappeared. They were subsequently removed from the guild. Another member who I referred to the Aragon Association dev team is waiting results from interviews. If he is not hired to perform development, he will most likely be offered to work within the guild.
  • This coming month I will propose solutions to the guild to further decentralize the on/offboarding of members to myself having only equal share in the team membership decision making process
  • I will be contacting everyone who has already expressed interest to see their current status, following up with those in discord who express interest, and be on the look out in other communities for people looking to contribute to the space.
  • Create more bounties to give the guild members the opportunity to increase their compensation and to offset the low amount available for resolving tech support tickets. Compensation should never be wasteful to solve a problem (ie raising monthly support compensation when the work/time involved does not match). Creating more bounties will give true meaning to the guilds work, allow Aragon to receive benefit for the funds used, and solve the compensation problem.
  • Obtain more repeating work. I have spoke with @ramon about the tech support guild taking on the role of QA for Zaragoza and other projects but Zaragoza is not at that stage yet. Later in Feb we will discuss if possibilities exist.
  • Identify other communities working with the same issues we are, at an equal stage as we are, and collaborate with each other. What works, what does not.
  • Move closer to completing documentation of Aragon products

Use of carried funds misunderstanding
From the Dec 2021 TSG proposal :

The indicative split of the budget is:

• $12,000 per month to be distributed to guild members through a Disperse contract with a Coordinape circle as attribution mechanism
  • $4,500 per month for bounties to incentivize larger deliverables

It also states there will be carry:

• Total monetary value to be distributed, not exceeding $12,000 + unspent carry from previous months

The proposal did not explicitly allow or prohibit monthly guild compensation being used for bounties. For transparency I am posting how I will proceed. The community’s input is welcomed. The bounty funds from Dec and Jan have all be used while compensation did not reach $12k in either month due to the perceived value of the work involved to resolve tickets was not $12k. 4 members is not enough for technical support to be secure in the event 2 members leave thus should be increased to 7 as soon as possible. However, if there are 7 members and no increase in tech support issues, it will dilute each members disbursement. The solution is to use the funds from monthly compensation for more bounty work so 7 guild members can be supported. It is important we provide the tech support guild with security through meaningful compensation.

Lastly, there is no standard for monthly community reporting. I will be posting monthly reports here in the forum and linking to them from notion until the proposal has been completed. As always, the community’s feedback is welcomed, even criticism. That’s how I, we, and they change and improve.

6 Likes

Really impressive progress report my friend; I learned a lot just reading this!

2 Likes

Big thanks @brent for this super detailed update report. Hats off for being so transparent with the successes and challenges currently faced, this update sets an excellent example for other Service DAOs to follow suit. The Aragon community is really lucky to have you and the rest of tech support guild members supporting them on their journeys, so just wanted to say a big thank you for everything you are doing :slight_smile:

1 Like

That is fire! Thank you for pushing it forward to you and the entire team!

1 Like

@brent you’ve provided a detailed and shining example of how DAO teams collaborate and decentralise. Thank you to you and your team for the excellent results. Given the teams outstanding track record I hope we will see a Main DAO proposal for ongoing funding and the formal establishment of the Tech Support Sub Dao. Just a note that with the exception of December 2021 the standard I’ve requested for all ESD funded proposals is as you have provided here, monthly reporting via the initial proposal to provide public transparency.

1 Like

February EOM Report

Support Deliverables

• Monthly guild compensation will be 5250 USDC and 934.1637 ANT @ $5.62 disbursement for a total of $10500 USD.
  • During the month of Feb, the guild has helped 133 customers with 155 conversations in Help Scout this is down from 186 customers and 216 conversations. This is most likely due to having 3 fewer days in Feb than January.
  • Proficiency increased to an estimated 77% of tickets being resolved in under 4 hours from 67% and 69% were resolved on the first reply, up from 58%. KPI metrics are kept well within the range required under this proposal.
  • Support is no longer a main issue of discussion as the guild now has become 100% experts on the topic and most issues that come up are trivial to the tech guild and no longer need discussion.
  • Now that we have a little over a month with tagged tickets there are some statistics on most common support issue. #1 is “Client” at 153 which I attribute to general DAO setup problems. #2 most common tag was Polygon at 48 tags followed by #3, govern with 36 tags. Some of these stats could possibly be used to draw conclusions as to where users are running into problems and where documentation and UI/UX could focus to limit these issues. i.e. more explanation in the product, links to documentation where people run into issues, etc
  • The guild has created a forum using discourse that will be linked to from the documentation for additive value and will have other sections that will allow users to ask questions. These questions will be public and searchable from within the forum and can be discovered by search engines.

Bounties

• A bounty was created to investigate the Ghost platform for documentation and its feature set which would allow embedding different forums directly in the documentation and allow users to add additional documentation value. It was determined that Ghost does not work for Aragon’s needs. Total bounty was $225 and 29.032258 ANT @ $7.76
  • Bounties for creating video content over each of the topics in the Aragon Client was redacted into one single bounty which is currently ongoing. This bounty is for a video miniseries comprised of 6 videos. Total original bounty was $800 USD and 104.71204 ANT @ $7.64. After being redacted we are discussing how to proceed with this.
  • The Fundamentals and Aragon Client bounty has been completed by the guild however, the bounty calls for 3 members of the community to review and give feedback before it can be closed out. Three individuals have recently been chosen and they are reviewing now. The bounty is $2250 USDC and 505.61 ANT @ $4.45
  • Marta will be reviewing the Aragon Client documentation for readability by a non technical person and will be making slight wording and visual changes for improvement. The compensation for this bounty is $200 USDC and 35.84 ANT @ $5.58

Decentralization progress

• The guild has decided to rename itself as “Aragon dTech” as this better aligns with many of the discussions and concerns that have been brought up. The first concern is if the guild is working with external organizations, how can the name represent of Aragon? By putting the name Aragon directly into the guilds name it clearly shows its roots. Second, the guild is starting to get involved in other areas that require technical knowledge but is not customer support. Having “dTech” in the name shows they are capable of doing more than just support. (QA, testing, DAO setup, Documentation)
  • I am no longer creating these end of month reports by myself. This EOM report was reviewed by everyone in Aragon dTech, each contributing to its final form. This EOM report started as a rough draft then moved to group contribution before submission.
  • The current proposal the guild is operating under will expire in one month. The guild is also involved in creating the next proposal by adding input. Q3 proposal should be autonomous with or without my guidance.
  • The guild expanded on the Aragon dTech discord to experiment with different bots and webhooks connecting WEB3 tools. At this point the future role of this Discord server remains unknown. It is a work in progress and is in an exploratory phase. Managing these channels, bots, and ideas in the Aragon discord would add too much noise and confusion.
  1. Strangely, I am proud to say I have given zero input to technical support. The guild has taken on this task 100%, each member stepping up to do what is needed to ensure all tickets are resolved and questions answered in discord, except for myself. This shows that without input, without supervision, and without guidance the guild is managing support autonomously. Hardening this process and adding resiliency is the next phase.
  • After proposing (Delegations) to the guild and using the integrative decision making process with @b3n, the guild has now been split into two major memberships: Aragon dTech Core members and Aragon dTech Contributing members. The separation of these categories allows the guild to bring in new contributing members with out threatening the compensation of those making the decision of adding additional members. Core members will receive 75% of their compensation as a set amount each month and 25% will be via coordinape circle. Contributing members will be compensated through bounties. Core members will mentor the contributors training them to help with the core member delegated tasks. Currently there are 4 core member delegations (Tech Support Operations, Aragon dTech Operations, Bounty Management, Documentation). Aragon dTech Core members will be experts in their delegation understanding every aspect there is to know. The Core members will use Aragon dTech contributing members to fill new core member delegations as additional tasks are required of the team. Everyone at this stage will be involved in Technical Support regardless of their core delegation. March will be the start of delegations. You can read more about this here. More in depth information about each of these delegations will be added for transparency soon.
  • Two new members have been added as dTech contributor members, with 5 more lined up to join after having initial interviews. It will not stop after these 5, many more contributors will be added.

Concerns

• How will proactive work be compensated that is not in the scope of a delegation or a bounty? This proactive work would be considered by the majority as needed and was quality input. Maybe it is something that needed to be done quickly and could not wait for a bounty to be created and awarded.
  • Making sure Aragon dTech contributors have enough compensation through technical bounty work. Part of this can be resolved by offering training and learning (also seen as an incentivization), the Aragon dTech core members identifying tasks that can be handed to the contributors, and input from the rest of the Aragon community e.g. If something is not being done or could be done, join one of the weekly open calls and point it out. Amount of work should not be a limiting factor. At the time of writing this there is not enough to support 6 contributing members, that is why this is listed under concerns, it should be resolved in the month of March.

Forward Objectives:

• Now that there is a structure which allows the guild to easily add new Aragon dTech Contributors and we have added two more, we will be focused on building the Aragon dTech Contributor membership to 6 people and more as Aragon grows.
  • A standard for offboarding Aragon dTech members will be put in place. Protocols will be made for when members leave on their own terms and when Aragon dTech Core members come to consensus a member needs removed. Likewise, in what circumstances and how are are core members removed?
  • Trial an initiative for which the guild will setup DAOs once a week/month. This is part of a proposal being put forth to the guild and the community (“DAO Setup & Help Paths”) and is currently taking shape. There will be open discussions about the pros and cons for this and how this initiative can help drive adoption of Aragon.
  • Review and report on the UX when users seek help from Aragon. From the learning about DAOs phase, learning about Aragon phase, setup phase, and when running/administering their DAO. How do they find help while using our products, from within discord, from documentation, social media, and from any of our websites.
  • Aligning with @Harry and @ramon for Zaragoza knowledge: Help guides, tutorials, Q&A. Aragon dTech should be prepared for Zaragoza before it is released to efficiently provide support.
  • Investigating dWork for managing Aragon dTech bounties
  • Creating the Q2 2022 proposal and including contribution from all Aragon dTech members

Comprehensive as always. Aragon dTech team you’re establishing an excellent track record. You have my 100% and ongoing support to continue killin it. @brent I’m so proud of you - everything since that initial pay rate negotiation (above) to gathering and building an amazing team - talented, always learning, testing and sharing insights that will grow this network - for empowering contributor autonomy, developing security for your core and organisational structure for the DAO. I know you are unlikely to claim responsibility for this I understand this is 100% teamwork but under different leadership, we could have a very different outcome, under your stewardship dTech is a brilliant example of how to decentralise and a testament to the power of DAO.

Questions / Feedback

Love the metrics! Do you have a dashboard? is this help scout reporting? Keen to learn about how your team is tracking performance so effectively because as a result, you not only prove the team is delivering and continuing to improve, this data is also surfacing insights that can potentially inform tech development and documentation decisions.

Are these ANT a daily spot pricing or the 60 days MA?. Would need @AlexClay to confirm the value is as per accounting. In general, I would prefer to see any USDC:ANT value expresses as the USDC equivalent amount. The proposal already shows that it is currently a 50:50 Split but I understand that our accounting practices continue to evolve as we look to build stability into reward compensation given token price movements. Imo I don’t think we need to identify people and bounty rewards in this format. Its good information to include but you could say simply

In February 2022 x # bounties were paid totalling y USDC equivalent. Discussion follows

Keen to see this! can it be linked here yet?

Great to see the team thinking about this. I also think it is an important decision to be had in discussion with @Shawncubbedge for onboarding and @mheuer for the umbrella proposal because of its broader application across AN DAO

Confirming that dWork investigation is in collaboration with the current bounty holder?

Keep up the great work

Thanks for your comments.

Love the metrics! Do you have a dashboard? is this help scout reporting? Keen to learn about how your team is tracking performance so effectively because as a result, you not only prove the team is delivering and continuing to improve, this data is also surfacing insights that can potentially inform tech development and documentation decisions.

100% we can use this data. @harry and I are already aligning on this as he may have interest in that information. As far as where the stats come from… Mostly Helpscout. I would love to have metrics from Discord because a lot of the work that is not seen in Helpscout takes place in Discord. One of the forward objectives is “Review and report on the UX when users seek help from Aragon.” How can we report on Discord help. I have ideas and I am sure others do to. Hopefully we have a solution for end of March.

Are these ANT a daily spot pricing or the 60 days MA?. Would need @AlexClay to confirm the value is as per accounting. In general, I would prefer to see any USDC:ANT value expresses as the USDC equivalent amount. The proposal already shows that it is currently a 50:50 Split but I understand that our accounting practices continue to evolve as we look to build stability into reward compensation given token price movements. Imo I don’t think we need to identify people and bounty rewards in this format. Its good information to include but you could say simply

There was a discussion about how to do this at the end of Jan but there was no Aragon wide decision. So it was decided that until there is a decision made, it would be the price of ANT upon announcement.
A moving average page that grabs the price from Coinmarketcap or Coingecko… or even better Chainlink, and gives an MMA3, MMA7, and an MMA14 could be useful for announcing bounty compensation. I am a strong believer in letting people know upfront what the compensation will be rather than letting the market decide over the course of a project hence why the ANT price was given upfront. It is my understanding other bounties now have a 6 day MMA applied just before disbursement. Will align with Alex on this a little more. I can report the bounty amounts as 100% USDC on future EOM reports.

Keen to see this! can it be linked here yet?

Forum link in test environment, playing with it now and discussing what will work best https://aragontesting.trydiscourse.com/

Confirming that dWork investigation is in collaboration with the current bounty holder?

No it is not, this was not under a bounty. It was just in the interest of a few people. But that is a good point, if someone is already investigating… we should align with them for results.

1 Like

End of Season Report

Initial Funding

• Deliverable funding: $48,000
  • Bounty funding: $18,000

Final expenditure

• The Guild has spent $41,447.37 out of the $48,000 budgeted for deliverables saving $6,552.63 which we request to be rolled over to Season 1.
  • A total of 14 bounties were set up to the value of $15,085.02 out of the budgeted $18,000 saving $2,914.98 which we request to be rolled over to Season 1.
    5 bounties involving other members of the community for transparency and collaboration. The complete list and statuses of the bounties are found here.

Original Deliverables

• Each month the Steward of the Guild will publish a report detailing the achievements and learning from the Guild activities - Completed Monthly
  • As per the Proposal for Season 0 success will be defined by the minimum criteria:
  1. All tickets assigned and replied to within 24 hours (Detailed Stats) - Completed Monthly

2. Average ticket resolution within 1.5 days (Detailed Stats) - Completed Monthly

3. A majority of tickets will be resolved using resources within the guild itself - Completed Monthly

4. A platform will be created to streamline reporting of errors and bugs - Semi-Completed - More collaboration with product and development teams has recently been initiated to integrate with their current systems. This has been a blocker in the past. Ideally, this will involve their current tracking system.

5. A process will be created to propose changes to FAQ and to create an Aragon guide over all tools at Aragon - Completed

6. Improvements will be made to move the Technical support guild’s tools and processes into further decentralization - Completed

Additional deliverables

• Humanode third party development work -.Completed
  • Gathering UX regarding Aragon Support - Ongoing
  • Public WIKI page - Completed
  • Standardizing Aragon User and Developer documentation - Ongoing
  • Redesigned the Guild’s membership structure - Completed
  • Experimented with Dework in alignment with Ops Guild - Completed

Bounties

1. Christmas Candy (Work during holidays) - Completed
  2. Technical docs TOC and FAQ - Completed
  3. Docs Fundamentals & Aragon Client - Completed
  4. 3/1 Review of Aragon Client - Completed
  5. 3/2 Review of Aragon Client - Completed
  6. 3/3 Review of Aragon Client - Completed
  7. Ghost base implementation - Completed
  8. Recreating Docs Aragon Govern, Court, Voice, Vocdoni (P2.M3.N1) - Completed
  9. Edit/ Review Docs Aragon Govern, Court, Voice, Vocdoni (P2.M3.N2) - Completed
  10. Edit and review Aragon Client and fundamentals - Completed
  11. Review Docs Aragon Govern, Court, Voice, Vocdoni (P2.M3.N3) - Completed
  12. Review Docs Aragon Govern, Court, Voice, Vocdoni (P2.M3.N4) - Completed
  13. Discourse links to existing doc pages (P2.M3.N5) - Completed
  14. Testing UX (User Experience) dTech Support (P1.M3.N1) - Completed

Thank you to everyone involved. I am available for any questions and am able to provide any additional details that may be requested. A more detailed report with statistics is available in Notion on the dTech WIKI page here.

@daniel-ospina @fartunov @lee0007

1 Like

Thank you for the report dTech and for all the work in the previous few months during season 0.

1 Like

Thank you for the concise version of all the amazing work that was achieved in season 0. I hope you agree that although simple, this is an impressive list of achievements and a clear testament to the excellence of the DAO’s inaugural working group. You have delivered above and beyond I look forward to seeing what the next season brings for dTech.

1 Like

ESD General Meeting Monday 18 April UTC 1900: Unanimous agreement to complete Epoch 0 funding

2 Likes