S1 ESD Transparency: Performance Reporting [COMPLETE]

At the outset of S1 the ESD provided a statement with performance KPI’s that we reported fortnightly in Discord as a group June 7 17 May 4 May 20 April. With the proposal to increase ESD monthly allocation (whether approved or not) we understand the community want more transparency around the individual contribution of each ESD member.

This post is a response to your requests for more transparency. Rather than collective fortnightly reporting, we will each report end of the month on activity against KPI’s and include links to forum, discord or documents that evidence delivery and our commitment to being accountable and responsible, transparent and rewarded for our work.

Key Performance Indicators:

Given at least seven days of lead time by way of a forum post for both proposals and monthly reporting each member of the ESD is committed to monthly reporting on the following individual key performance indicators (KPI):-

New ESD Funding Proposals [ % ] where % is the average of applicable items 1-4 below

1. Review Funding: 100% timeliness to read and respond to proposals prior to ESD General Meeting [individuals to signal]
  2. Advise Funding: 100% timeliness to advise funding decisions within 24 hours where decided at ESD General Meeting [secretary to report]
  3. Query Funding: 100% timeliness to seek clarification within 24 hours where undecided at ESD General Meeting [secretary to report] &/or [individuals to signal]
  4. Decide Funding: 100% timeliness to advise final decisions on proposals within 7 days where undecided at ESD General Meeting and where properly notified [individuals to signal]

End of Month (EOM) Reporting [ % ] where % is the average of applicable items 1-3 below

1. Assess Report: 100% timeliness to assess funding deliverables before the release of funding reward [individuals to signal]
  2. Query Report: 100% timeliness to seek clarification within 24 hours where undecided at ESD General Meeting [secretary to report] &/or [individuals to signal]
  3. Decide Report: 100% timeliness to advise decisions on reporting within 7 days where undecided at ESD General Meeting and where properly notified [individuals to signal]

Routine Deliverables [ % ] where % is the average of applicable items 1-2 below

1. General Meetings: 100% attendance at General Meeting or apologies announced at least 24 hours prior to meeting in #governance-general discord channel [individuals to signal]
  2. Monthly Office Hours: 100% attendance at ESD Monthly Office Hours or apologies announced at least 24 hours prior to the meeting in #governance-general discord channel [individuals to signal]

Monthly Performance Calculation [ TOTAL % ]

= (% New + % EOM + % Routine) / 3

Forum post due by the last day of the month.

2 Likes

June 2022

ESD Funding Proposals June 2022

Not applicable, no new ESD funding proposals in June

May 2022 End of Month (EOM) Reporting 100%

1. Assess Report:100% finance, ops, growth, community experience, umbrella, dTech,
2. Query Report:100% finance, community experience, dTech
3. Decide Report:100% finance, analytics

Routine Deliverables 100%

1.General Meetings: 100% attendance see record of meetings
2.Monthly Office Hours: 100% attendance see record of meetings
3.ESD EOM Reporting 100% across all applicable June KPI’s

May 2022

ESD Funding Proposals May 2022 100%

1. Review Funding: 100% lead bounty funding
2. Advise Funding: S1 proposals carry forward to May
3. Query Funding: S1 proposals carry forward to May
4. Decide Funding: 100% finance, ops, community experience, data insights, learning, growth, dTech

April 2022 End of Month (EOM) Reporting 100%

Due to S1 funding ending March 31 2022, several teams did not need to submit EOM reporting in April.

1.Assess Report:100% growth, umbrella, dTech, community experience
2. Query Report: -
3. Decide Report: -

3.ESD EOM Reporting 100% across all applicable May KPI’s

@lee0007 here again i see you doing a lot? all? of the heavy lifting… and again, it’s not a criticism of anyone else… just that maybe the esd needs more funding generally to support the work

2 Likes

May 2022

4. Decide Funding: 100% finance, ops, community experience, data insights (collective statement), learning (collective statement), growth, dTech (collective statement)

Due to S1 funding ending March 31 2022, several teams did not need to submit EOM reporting in April.

1.Assess Report:100% growth,umbrella - no payment due, dTech, community experience

Routine Deliverables 84%

1.General Meetings: 67% attendance see record of meetings Notified absence well in advance
2.Monthly Office Hours: 100% attendance
3.ESD EOM Reporting Not sure how the percentage is to be calculated here

1 Like

June 2022

1. Assess Report:100% finance , ops, growth, community experience, umbrella, dTech,
2. Query Report:100% finance, community experience, umbrella

Calculation (100 + 100 + 84) / 3 = 94.

However, you did notify us of your absence at meetings well in advance so that should be 100% for May too, it is only moving forward that we are now notifying in the public discord for this transparency effort

cc @Ricktik6 with the vote approved Ivan & I are both 100% for May and June

May 2022

4. Decide Funding: 100% finance (collective statement), ops (collective statement), community experience, data insights (collective statement), learning (collective statement), growth, dTech (collective statement)

1.Assess Report:100% growth,umbrella - no payment due, dTech (already had majority** (see note below)), community experience (already had majority**(see note below))

Routine Deliverables 67%

1.General Meetings: 67% attendance see record of meetings Notified absence well in advance
2.Monthly Office Hours: 0% attendance
3.ESD EOM Reporting Not sure how the percentage is to be calculated here

Note on “already had majority”: as the ESD is functioning with a 2/3 majority, in some cases where I saw no value added in commenting when a project has already been granted funding (i.e. 2/3), I refrained from posting further. As we’re now doing individual reporting, I’ll aim to respond to every request (irrespective of whether it has material consequences or not for the decision).

June 2022

1. Assess Report:100% (see note from previous post) finance , ops, growth, community experience, umbrella, dTech,
2. Query Report:100% finance, community experience, umbrella

2.Monthly Office Hours: 0% attendance see [record of meetings] (https://www.notion.so/aragonorg/Executive-Sub-DAO-ESD-6fe11e93b016449b920d83767d8e5a28#4baaf355900c48558dfe8979f6ba206c)

Final note:
As you’ve seen in the two reports, I’ve not attended ESD office hours as these were suggested as an optional practice (not in the Charter) and funding for ESD members’ time has been significantly limited. With the now proposed expansion of funding, I look forward to joining this calls from July onwards

Cc @Ricktik6 please see my two reports above in addition to Lee’s and Ivan’s

This is performance-based funding, it’s not in the Charter, wasn’t in the vote. It is in the last ESD General meeting minutes and its actually only a matter of honour, team and individual integrity.

Office hours are not in the Charter either @daniel-ospina but reported by ESD End of Season 0 as an opportunity for increased transparency, which both @fartunov & I attended bi-weekly until June.

The record shows you were absent at ESD General Meeting 2 May. Which by my calculation means 50%, on the above deliverable and 83% for May EOM reporting. If you can help me see where I missed your apologies for that meeting, I’m happy to wrong about this.

cc @Ricktik6

@lee0007 the 100% meeting attendance is for June.

In may I put 67% as, as you mentioned in the General Meetings Attendance, I missed one meeting (2nd of may) out of 3 that month, due to the time being changed and me still having the previous meeting in my calendar. That was also around the time (I think) when google calendar was replaced with Sesh

I indeed has 83% above that, which was a mistake form my part and now corrected it to 67%

what do you mean by this? I get that we agreed to start reporting and moving forward to reduce our compensation if the KPIs are not met. We also agreed the KPIs are not ideal bt we’ll work with them given the whole thing is likely to change soon. But I’m not sure why you’re raising this and what implications you’re assuming there are

You referenced the Charter - so for others that might be reading this - this is not related to the Charter. Additional payment was established by Main DAO vote and the performance based rewards in the ESD General meeting minutes, old school and still legit, albeit trust-based means to establish and honour agreements. Just my focus on trust and transparency

ESD EOM Reporting = Average across applicable deliverables
= (100% +100% +67%)
= 267 / 3
= 89%

cc @Ricktik6 Daniel is 100% for June 89% for May

Totz understand this isn’t in any way an ideal measure of impact but it’s what we’ve had to work with Season 1. Let’s figure this out better before S2

1 Like

Based on this information:

I would like to confirm the following Main DAO payments for ESD members (to be paid 15th of July):

@fartunov @lee0007 @daniel-ospina

2 Likes

Given that the first ESD meetings of May was rescheduled (the time was moved and also Sesh bot had been implemented replacing the google calendar I was using without any official announcement to ESD members) so I still had the old invite in my calendar, I’d request that is not counted as my fault. It was a coordination issue and I did wait for 15-20 minutes in a meeting where no one showed up :upside_down_face:

Happy to live with the policy moving forward, provided we’re extra careful with any scheduling changes, but there was no way to know that coordination mistakes between us and system changes in Aragon would cost me $2,000!

cc @lee0007 @Ricktik6

I would say this is fair.
“already had a majority” - it is not really a thing we agreed to, but maybe we can let it slide

While we all operated without visibility on the KPIs but it’s fair to reward those who performed beyond the benchmark set at the time. Giving everyone full marks regardless of engagement is literally just increasing the base rate, which is not what we are aiming at

1 Like

We agreed on a “base rate” not on a maximum one.

And given we have close to a year of ESD operations now, for what’s been a very very low compensation, missing one meeting shouldn’t lead to me only getting 20% of the compensation. Especially with what we unanimously agreed are less than ideal indicators and knowing that the event in my calendar with the wrong time was actually scheduled by you, and for example, you have also missed meetings in the past.

I’ve often suggested that Lee should get extra compensation for her work, but it’s also important to note that a lot of said work is beyond the scope of the ESD, and anyhow the whole concept of increasing the base rate was to have a higher floor to justify regular operations. If we start by disproportionately punishing (80% reduction for one meeting which wasn’t even my fault), we’re at best being unjust and failing to fulfil the purpose of the proposal, and at worst setting a terrible precedent of blind bureaucracy (souring rather quickly the dream of DAOs).

As far as I’m concerned, I see no reason to forgo the majority of my compensation because of a scheduling issue, but you can count on me to ensure we don’t have ambiguity on meeting times or replies to funding requests moving forward.

1 Like

@fartunov believe @daniel-ospina might be right here. We didnt move the time Daniel but the meeting on the 2 May was the one we had to create a new event link for because I couldn’t record for some reason, it was an event I created but it kept locking me out and I didnt have record permission?.

Ivan was able to record with Google meets, so he re-created the call. I do have a DM from Daniel asking if the meeting time was changed and sorry I didn’t drop Daniel that link when we changed call locations and so Daniel says he was in the older scheduled meeting I trust him on that. cc @Ricktik6 sorry for the confusion here but Daniel should then be at 100% for May too

The day someone develops a scheduling and calendar tool for web3 discord - so we are not operating on sesh bot + shared google calendars + duplicating events to personal calendars (to reduce noise from shared calendars) - that team’s gonna kill it!

1 Like

Sure, I don’t have the bandwidth to get into this.

1 Like