S1 dGov Transparency: Advisory Funding Coordinape Experiment [COMPLETE]

This post is to provide transparency on work funded under the S1 dGov Core & Advisory coordinape circle and will be updated monthly to provide visibility and raise awareness for the contributors called to participate. This is an experiment in decentralised funding and is subject to change

Standards that Apply External Advisors Internal, no fixed reward via AA Internal, w. fixed reward via AA Reasoning
Must allocate GIVE to receive GIVE allocation (Y/N) N Y Y Participation incentive
Reward Reductions (%) 0% 0% 14 % per day worked Level playing field & reduce coordinape pool ($)
Minimum Baseline (%) 100% 100% 30% Participation incentive
Unallocated GIVE redistributed to circle participants (Y/N) N Y Y Participation incentive
4 Likes

May Status Update: With Finance @AClay @Ricktik6 we have established a set of standards to test for determining the final reward allocation. Payment for May was paused to establish the above standards and is expected to be paid out in June Rewards (Paid July 15). The final reward allocation will be provided below once calculated.

May-2022
Reward Governance Advisory Significant time was invested in May by contributors across our network to progress a series of topics related to the Transfers of Funds vote. dGov seeks to reward-related governance advisory via coordinape as indicated here
Rewards dGov Core This circle is also responsible for rewarding @lee0007 for work within the dGov team as reported here.
Participants TBC
Gratitude Participants are encouraged to share a quick note when allocating GIVE. The financial rewards available can not accurately reward the time invested, gratitude is invaluable
Circle Coordinape
Deadline 12 June 2022 23:59 UTC
Payment Due 15 July 2022
Record of Payments See tab dGov Circle May

Transparency Update June, as applies to May

The Coordinape circle experiment is a work in progress. The originally proposed standards were updated after undertaking a manual process to allocate the dGov Advisory funding for May. For transparency, my reasoning is as follows

What Reasoning & References
dGov Proposal Financial Proposal: A Path to Decentralised Governance (dGov) - #23 by AcidCavin
Proposed Standards S1 dGov Transparency: Advisory Funding Coordinape Experiment
External Advisors $150 minimum for external advisors. Compliance and Tech SubDAO members are considered external advisors, where they are not AA AL rewarded. Not required to send GIVE to receive $ reward
Internal Advisors All ESD members & AA AL rewarded Sub-DAO members, must send GIVE to receive $ rewards
Original Reward $ reward calculated via coordinape circle based on GIVE received as a % of the total budegt
Adjustment (%) Minimum baseline 30% for AA AL members (increased from 25%). AA AL per day reduction 14%
Adjusted ($) resulting reward with % adjustment to original reward. Effectively reduces the total funding to be allocated
dGov Allocation @lee0007 applied discretion to round up adjusted rewards
Payment ($) Owing, to external advisors. Owing, to internal participants that send GIVE. $0 to internal participants that did not send GIVE
Updates Applied The above updates to standards are reflected in the original post top of the page
Original Budget request 10000
Allocated by cordinape 6600
Unspent 3400 remains in dGov budget for future
Work Funded Advisory Work on Transfers of Funds
" dGov as per the May EOM report
2 Likes

Great work @lee0007!

June-2022
Reward Governance Advisory For time and talent invested in June by contributors to progress the first three Charter Improvement Proposals and associated discussions
Rewards dGov Core Not longer applies
Gratitude Participants are encouraged to share a quick note when allocating GIVE. The financial rewards available can not accurately reward the time invested, gratitude is invaluable
Circle Coordinape
Deadline 4 July 2022 23:59 UTC
Payment Due 15 July 2022
Record of Payments See tab dGov Circle June

S1 Coordinape Learnings

I recognise that the initial dGov proposal and funding request suggested coordinape would be used for all funding. For flexible ad-hoc work such as the advisory, it may yet prove useful. Learning from May was that Coordinape serves a solid purpose as a signalling tool but not as the ends and means to reward people commensurate to impact. Human intervention may not be the intention of this type of tool and while everyone received their full coordinape allocation, I took the liberty to increase it.

After receiving $2550 for rewards for the entire month of May via this circle I have removed the funding I budgeted for core dGov from the circle mechanism to fix a 5k per month reward. I am keen to hear from anyone that feels this is not ok, or out of order. While I will participate in coordinape circles to allocate and receive GIVE I would not be funded via the dGov advisory or community circles.

I think this is fair @lee0007 to confirm, this is a fixed comp for you or all of dgov. Coordinape is a great tool for what I see as “Bonus’s”, I am not sure it is the perfect mechanism for full distribution of rewards in any given month.

1 Like

The Coordinape circle refelcts the fact that June was quiet on the governance front. This month the total reward pool is also lower due to fixed rewards allocated to @lee0007 see above. For further transparency, on the process applied to the xls see tab dGov Circle June

What Reasoning & References
External Advisors Marked gold in the xls. $150 minimum for external advisors. Compliance and Tech SubDAO members are considered external advisors, where they are not AA AL rewarded. Not required to send GIVE to receive reward
Internal Advisors All ESD members & AA AL rewarded Sub-DAO members, must send GIVE to receive a reward
Eligibility Marked grey in the .xls are advisory participants that are NOT eligible on the basis they 1) did not participate in June or 2) did not send GIVE or 3) were funded via a fixed reward
Original Reward $ reward calculated via coordinape circle based on GIVE received as a % of the total 5k budget in June
Adjustment (%) Minimum baseline 30% for AA AL members. AA AL per day reduction 14%
Adjusted ($) Resulting coordinape reward based on % adjustment to original reward. Effectively reduces the total funding to be allocated
dGov Allocation rounded-up dGov reward allocation
Payment ($) Owing, to all eligible participants
Original Budget 5000
Budget Allocated 2150
Unspent 2850 remains in dGov budget for future
Work Funded Advisory Work on Transfers of Funds, with exception of @eaglelex legal review of tech CIP-0 and participants @lee0007 @alibama now on fixed rewards
July-2022
Reward Governance Advisory For time and talent invested in July by contributors to progress the first three Charter Improvement Proposals and associated discussions
Rewards dGov Core Not longer applies
Circle Coordinape
Deadline 31 July 2022 23:59 UTC
Payment Due 15 July 2022
Original Budget $3000
Budget Allocated $1100
Record of Payments See tab dGov Circle July

S1 Advisory Learnings

The advisory was an attempt to create stronger strategic governance alignment between the AN DAO AA AL contributors and external advisors. We have certainly benefited from some brilliant external advisors. But internal alignment eludes me in terms of the time and bandwidth required to elicit constructive feedback. This struggle from my side is out of balance…

dGov is an open book - I have publically proposed our purpose, values, S1 governance and community mission and report weekly and monthly on work in progress. We hold a regular cadence of meetings all open to any participants, all dGov key dates are shown and maintained in the forum here. Full access to Notion is the modus operandi and two months in advance of funding re-up S2 planning was presented for input

Yet in almost all cases (bar a tiny minority) the flow of support, strategic information sharing and constructive feedback is one way only. Perhaps further along the progressive decentralisation journey - once decentralisation, accountability, responsibility and transparency are known to be commonly shared values - then we may more effectively deliver collective governance transparency, operations and proposals.

@Ricktik6 There will be no further dGov Advisory Circles as of 31 July

1 Like