There have been a couple of announcements recently indicating a shift in Aragon voting ux from on-chain voting to off-chain voting using Snapshot. This new feature becomes potentially more powerful when combined with Aragon Court (maybe soon Aragon Protocol) to enable “Optimistic Snapshot”.
Some recent posts about this:
This has implications for the Aragon Network DAO, which will potentially be adopting Optimistic Snapshot as the main ux for ANT holders to create and vote on proposals.
I have some questions about how Snapshot works and what implications its design has for the security of the Aragon Network DAO:
- Who can create proposals on Snapshot?
- Is there a Snapshot admin who can delete proposals or block them from going onto the ballot, or censor certain votes (e.g. all “Yes” votes on a proposal the admin is opposed to)?
- What happens if Snapshot goes down? Is it then no longer possible to create new proposals or cast vote on ongoing proposals?
- How can a user challenge an action taken on-chain that conflicts with the actual outcome of a Snapshot vote?
- Is there an " authoritative" Snapshot instance? Or can anyone set up a private Snapshot instance, vote with just their own ANT, and declare the results to be the “true” intent of ANT holders?
I’ll start there and follow up depending on the answers to these questions.