Pando live on Rinkeby

Hi everyone,

Here it is: pando is now deployed on Rinkeby!!

You can browse the test DAO there: https://rinkeby.aragon.org/#/0xe048d120Be1aEf0D198437f7f8752F64618FD02A/

In this DAO you will find [at least] two pando repositories. The first one is a pando how-to: it will guide you in how to use Pando. The second in a small experimentation: a distributed repo to collaboratively produce a non-dev Aragon on-boarding guide. We’re waiting for you contributions here!

We will keep on working on pando in the next coming weeks. We’ll improve the git-remote-helper to handle git fast exports [and boost performances] and also update the PR CLI command [which can be a little scary for now]. We are also gonna keep improving the frontend and its performance.

In the meanwhile, if you spot any bugs [and you will ;)] feel free to open issues here.

We’re gonna move a little slower on pando than the past couple of weeks though, because we wanna focus on Apiary. We believe Apiary is essential to the future of Aragon so we wanna make sure everything will be perfect.

Stay tuned.

20 Likes

Do you have any guidance on installing this into an existing organization, what applications need to be installed and what permissions need to be granted?

:heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Congrats to whole team :muscle:

3 Likes

Also, this tweet exploded https://twitter.com/licuende/status/1111422419955142656?s=09. More than a 100k impressions :scream::scream:
People are really into this.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for you support!

More than a 100k impressions :scream::scream:

Oh boy! We’ve had lots of feedback too but didn’t think it would be that much!

Do you have any guidance on installing this into an existing organization, what applications need to be installed and what permissions need to be granted?

Sure! Actually the only app you need to install is the Colony app. This will then work as a factory app allowing you to deploy, initialize and install new repos in a one-click atomic transaction.

This app is published under pando-colony.open.aragonpm.eth. It requires CREATE_PERMISSIONS_ROLE over the ACL and MANAGE_APPS_ROLE over the kernel. This app itself only defines one self-explanatory CREATE_REPOSITORY_ROLE who can assign to yourself or anyone you wanna allow to deploy repos.

I’m taking a week-end break now but will publish a script to add the colony app to any deployed rinkeby DAO soon :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Congratulations!:star_struck:

Can you tell me please where I can find more info on Apiary?

2 Likes

Hey @sasha.shilina!

Thanks a lot :sunny:

There are not much public informations on Apiary for now. We want Apiary to succeed and thus prefer having a rock solid communication plan / documentation plateform ready before we tease it publicly.

The smart contracts should be ready and published for audit soon, though.

Then, we intend to work on the UX frontend and are still discussing with several people from A1 regarding a couple of design choices.

It happens to be tricky to deliver bonding curve for the masses, so we prefer taking the time to do it right :slight_smile:

Once we are set about this choices, we’re gonna work on the documentation.

Hope it answers your question :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Starting to deploy DAOs for various community related endeavors and encountering a problem: while the DAO can easily control and manage blockchain native assets like tokens, a community has lots of other assets that are important like the website domain, forum, github repos, etc… A community still has to trust (and ask permission from) the “admin” who controls and manages those assets. In many respects this downgrades a DAO from a governance tool to a signalling tool. Looking for more solutions that allow the DAO itself to own a community’s assets, ensuring that the community will constantly have access to those assets regardless of the engagement or turnover of contributors.

Pando looks very promising! Especially given the recent GitHub censorship snafu. Looking at the Rinkeby DAO and the GitHub repo it’s not immediately obvious how to get started. From what I can tell, the flow is:

• install Pando (Colony and Repository apps) to an Aragon DAO
  • download Pando locally
  • push/pull code to/from the Pando apps on your DAO

Is this more or less correct?

While I see a guide to deploy a new Pando DAO from scratch in the How-to README on the Pando Rinkeby org, I don’t see a guide to add the Pando apps to an existing DAO. Where can I find more info on Pando, specifically how to use it with Rinkeby DAOs?

1 Like

following, as this is a critical issue. Unfortunately until there are username/password based systems, it gets pretty tricky to manage. Maybe we could use solutions like NuCypher or Keep to keep a password there? This would all probably need a mail server that could either handle or forward emails for registration and password resets.

1 Like

I do not follow. Are you saying that anyone could push/pull code to/from the DAO’s Pando app, and thus a password protected permission would be required?

No, not at all, but the fact that other digital assets are usually governed by username/password combos (eg. domain registrars, Twitter, cloud server providers, email marketing sofware, and so on) and so the DAO should need a way to actually have governance on these and not a signaling / delegation model (just as you noted in your comment)

2 Likes

Agreed that it would be awesome if a DAO could own and control a project’s web2 assets! :slight_smile: Since Aragon DAOs are (currently) hosted on a public blockchain, any usernames or passwords would also be made public. Furthermore, getting data from the web2 platform to the DAO and back (in an easy way) is a challenge. Perhaps someday the Agent app will allow a DAO to take actions in the web2 world, but atm it’s limited to interacting with other Ethereum contracts right?

Regarding self sovereign communities and self sovereign DAOs, I see a few routes forward:

• Website: DAO buys an ENS domain, then community members build and hosted the website via ENS/IPFS. This way the DAO controls and owns it’s own website.
  • Code: DAO hosts it’s own code via Pando. This way the community owns it vs a dev with commit access or Microsoft.
  • Chat: TBD. I guess every member of an org could be an admin on a group like Keybase, but it would depend on the app if that allows for unilateral decision making or a multi-sig type governance where multiple parties have to coordinate to take action. Please let me know if there’s anyone in the Ethereum space working on this tho!

As an interim solution, you could also create a legal entity that takes orders from the DAO, then have that legal entity own/manage web2 assets in meatspace. With platforms like https://www.openlaw.io/ popping up this could become easier in the future, but it’s far from ideal. I can think of very few use cases that would warrant the time/money spent setting up, maintaining, and actually using that type of a model.

What other ideas am I missing?

Also, how do I install Pando into my already deployed DAOs?