Overview of Guidelines: How to get funding

Thanks for the comments @lee0007. These are great questions/comments, and ones that I don’t think have clean answers. I’d say this is one of the best examples of the challenges of this transition period between being governed by wet code contracts typical of a state-recognized legal entity or being part of a trustless organization governed fully by token holders. This is especially the case if we are serious about holding any future DAOs to the standards of a properly functioning tech startup, that is, those with the executive expediencies that come from centralization, but with the benefits of being on-chain.

That said, this version of the Strategy to Become a Governance Hyperstructure is the strategy currently being followed by the Aragon Association. It was written by AA contractors to provide strategic direction to our current core contributors. Similarly, the current Aragon organization in github (and thus the repo I created) are managed by Aragon Association. The permissions are managed by our DevOps team, with some additional engineering leads having permissions. It contains the codebases of most (all?) of Aragon’s products. Our github is not permissionless.

Due to the trustless on-chain nature of a true DAO, the strategy cannot become “the” strategy with any kind of binding enforcement like that of traditional orgs. This has been at the center of our DAO design considerations, which are echoing similar concerns throughout the industry, as the initial appeal of DAOs has started to wear off. There are some great reports from Compound, Maker, and even in this Uniswap proposal that are converging on these topics.

Building a strong delegate culture of “endorsing” strategies that can be written by anyone, anywhere, I do believe could be a great step in creating the needed directionality and accountability. This is what a “platform” is, and what Sam referred to with “strategy as a platform”. Delegates don’t need to be strategists, but rather someone who can map capital allocation to an existing strategy.

On a personal note, I was initially uncomfortable with posting the hyperstructure strategy myself into the Aragon repo. I felt that it gave an unfair weight to the strategy in the official github, which isn’t aligned what I just described. If there is this impression, I acknowledge that, and wish it wasn’t the case. Having said that, I am a paid AA contributor and thus its the property of AA. Professionally and legally, posting it in an official Aragon channel was the correct and only option.

My recommendation for those without access to the Aragon github is to either fork it into your own repo, or even somewhere that lacks the version control. IMO it has equal merit regardless if its in github, notion, mirror, medium, hackmd, etc.

7 Likes