Revised Operations Guild Proposal
The proposal is a request to Executive Sub DAO to fund $52,000 for Season 1 (April 1st - July 31st) for forming and running Operations Guild. During Season 0 we recognized the tremendous work put in by Bounty Holders and saw the need to bring all the active contributors to define the processes and frameworks that will ensure smooth functioning of the AN DAO. The proposal defined below will help AN DAO:
- avoid guilds and working groups functioning in silos
- build frameworks using agile methodology that can be applied by other guilds
- maintain operational efficiency across the DAO
The Ops guild envision itself placed strategically within the AN DAO and help in coordination, drive project management discipline, avoid blockers so that all contributors, new or old, have a seamless experience in the DAO.
During Season 0 we attracted a number of talented individuals to join Aragon and work on bounties around Core Operations. Community members joined and started to own tasks such as finance and payroll, tooling and documentation (notion) community coordination, communications and operational experiments. Building on this momentum, we seek to
- define a set of core operations in the DAO
- identify individual responsibility
- create accountability for our ongoing work
- drive operational efficiency/ remove inefficiencies
- foster an environment for collaboration
We want to take the momentum around Season 0 and propose to create and fund an Ops Guild. The proposal aims to secure funding for 3 months to carry on smooth functioning of DAO and continuously support other guilds and working groups.
Today we fund individual projects or working groups, which pushes significant operational overhead to these teams. Moving into season 1 we seek to create and empower DAO Ops Guild to drive operational efficiency for our community working groups and enable teams to focus on deliverables
A DAO’s ability to deliver results is directly proportionate to the efficiency with which it functions. The essential elements of an efficient DAO are effective governance, transparent treasury management, agile operations, and the quality of its contributors. Our focus is to remove inefficiencies by applying agile frameworks to support and foster collaboration in terms of
- cross-functional teamwork within guilds and working groups
- contributor accountability
- constant iteration of complex team structures
The guild will work in sprints (2 weeks each) which will increase flexibility and adaptability to change. This will allow Ops guild to detect the issues faster and address them during weekly calls with the community.
DAO governance should be fundamentally democratic, accompanied by a standard governance process that can represent participation and voting power. Governance planning often requires a dedicated group of contributors that can function independently, transparently and equitably. A dedicated governance bounty holder will be required to perform tasks keeping those ethos intact.
|ACCOUNTABILITY||Ensure 100% of Bounties have metrics at outset and that performance is tracked||31-Jul||10%||100%|
|RESPONSIBILITY||100% Bounty adoption by identifying key responsible contributors||31 July||90%||100%|
- OPERATIONS: Create a guide on how to use DeWork for project management (task tracking, similar to JIRA) and bounty management by June end
- OPERATIONS: Establish payment infrastructure with DeWork for bounties by 15 June.
- COLLABORATION: AN DAO Wiki Notion and Ops Guild Notion Page revamped by31 July
- COLLABORATION: Weekly/Bi- Monthly/Monthly meeting (depending on the group) cadence scheduled in the shared calendar to aid alignment and collaboration
- EFFICIENCY: End of Season Documented Operations Guild Feedback
- EFFICIENCY: Monthly implementation and advancing documentation of DAO tooling process to aid operations and accountability
- Weekly Tactical meeting (1) with Guild Stewards
- Weekly meetings with Metrics, Finance, and Growth squads (3)
- Monthly Operations documentation (8+8)
- Weekly tooling feedback DeWork (8)
- Weekly Contributor calls for Notion Maintenance(4)
- Weekly contributor calls for Discord upkeep (4)
- Weekly Notion Documentation, feedback captured and suggestion (2)
- Monthly tooling call (2)
- Monthly feedback (4)
- Monthly community call (1)
- Monthly reporting (2)
● Anukriti#6039 - Preseason & S1 Ops Contributor and Scrum Master (30-35 hours pwk) working to drive operational efficiency, contributor responsibility and accountability and document operational process
● Lion917#3637 - Preseason Knowledge Catalyst now Ops Coordination and Knowledge Catalyst S1 ( 40-45 hours p wk) working to support effective colloboration and knowledge sharing to aid operational efficiency
● Governance Bounty Holder: The contributor must be an experienced personnel in DAO space who can advise the community on best practices about Governance.
Some additional key points of alignment for the coming months:
- Work with AA and ESD members to identify and remove any operational overheads.
- Work with the dTech team and propose agile frameworks for product enhancements and development.
- Work with People Guild and Onboarding contributors to understand the needs of the community and enable an operations structure which is friendlier to new contributors in order to create a frictionless onboarding experience.
- Work with DAOAcademy contributors to draft the learnings of DAO tools.
- Work closely with Growth, Finance & Treasury, Metrics working groups and provide support whenever needed. These squads are being established for the first time within the DAO. Hence, the Operations Guild will also temporarily assist these groups to set goals, track progress and enable functioning.
- We expect that the Ops guild will need significant time investment from members of the Aragon core team. These team members will continue to work in stewardship roles, with the ambition being that teams are fully autonomous by completion of Season 1.
- Since AN DAO is in its early stages, it is important to understand that many unforeseen tasks and challenges occur on a regular basis and a group of dedicated contributors are required who have the bandwidth for the same. Operations guild will function with agility and efficiency in order to facilitate the efforts to overcome challenges and roadblocks.
- Getting accustomed to a new tool, DeWork for tracking tasks. It requires a certain amount of time commitment from guild stewards to update the tasks on the DeWork board.
● As per Season 0, another limitation might be some inability to fully predict unseen factors that will change the trajectory of the team.
The guild proposes to fund the following:
● Core Contributor(s): Someone who will take on a first POC within the squad. The person in the contributor role has been a bounty holder and has demonstrated high performance.
● Additional Bounties: A pre-defined allocation towards currently undefined bounties that will allow ops to be nimble and attract talent or fund action that supports effective operations of the AN DAO.
The ops guild requests funding of $13k per month with following distribution -
Adding the per month distribution, the total disbursement requested for Season 1 is $52,000.
|Stakeholder||Compensation/Month||Compensation for Season 1|
|Ops Guild AA Champion||Alex||NA||NA|
|Ops Coordination and Scrum Master||Anukriti#6039||$4,000.00||$16,000.00|
|Ops Coordination and Knowledge Catalyst||Lion917#3637||$5,000.00||$20,000.00|
The findings of DeWork during Season 0 can be found here:
Bounty Board for Season 0
Note: The Ops guild started the DAO Tactical meeting in April with Guild stewards along with Notion change feedback process and Discord survey for regular upkeep. Ops guild also started doing ground work on DeWork bounty management with DeWork core contributors during April.