On the duality Claim-Agreement in Aragon Court

Thinking out loud:

I imagined to apply Aragon Court. The most needed application I can imagine is a decentralized ebay. We didn’t see any serious one so far because a decentralized ebay needs a court for disputes.

This is how it would work in my mind: In the product page we see something new: an Aragon Court button, or another similar button linking to the court used by the seller. In fact, when I buy I am subscribing a contract with the seller and at the same time with the court. This new element is the key. Before I buy I want to inspect the court.

In ebay if you open a dispute there is a prebuilt set of standard possible claims. Ideally the problem of shipping items between anonymous actors can be reduce to a serie of outcomes and therefore to a STANDARD set of claims.

This made me think that Aragon court will run 2 families of disputes: disputes with variable claims and disputes with standard prebuilt claims.

May be one day Aragon Court will offer some prebuilt sets of claims to be used in tipical specific applications like decentralized ebays and others

If you think at the shipping procedure you will realize that the only solution to prove you sent the item is to make a video where you package the object and ship it at the post office. And then you add the tracking number. On the other side the guy will have to make a video of the unboxing. Comparing the 2 videos the court can decide whether the item was really shipped or not.

This made me think, because the jurors will not have to judge based on sentiment, they must follow rules.

This brings us to Aragon Agreements.

If we have a standard set of claims, for each claim there must be a rule (agreement) used by the juror to evaluate the claim.

So I imagine Aragon court as a system where I upload a set of possible claims, ALONG WITH a set of evaluation-rules for those claims. Like a table with 2 columns, on the left the claims, on the right the related evaluation rules.

Because in the end when the buyer buys the shoes he will do it ONLY IF:

1 The Court is preconnected to the sale

2 The 30 DAI for the jurors are predeposited on the sale contract (by the seller)

3 He can check the claims and the evaluation rules for each possible claims, since when he clicks the BUY BUTTON he is actually subscribing that set of claims (or if you will the agreement).

So in the end the claims and the agreement are the same thing.

I am not sure how you are planning to approach this duality claim-agreement.

In many cases the dispute is triggered and the claim is choosed (via checkbox, pulled form a list), and the juror doesn’t want to read all the agreement, he just want to see on the screen the specific evaluation rule to be used to judge that claim, ideally nothing else.

I can ship you an empty box and do a bad video. And you can simply claim that the video is made not following the rules. The jurors wil inspect the video, and check whether the video-making rule is followed. IF the video is bad made, no matter the content of the box, You can claim back your money. This is how usually law works.

A standard set of claims for a specific problem is something not easy to build. And it is basically the BOOK OF LAWS for that problem.

I hope this can help, however you plan to build it.

MAy be you offer prebuilt sets, or maybe you allow the people to decide their sets, but I don’t see it as something so “external” since it should be intimately connected to the contract flow.

Thanks for the attention

1 Like