Change the file format of the AN DAO Charter from
.tex to version it with
git and release it on github.com/aragon and IPFS via a GitHub workflow.
I propose to change the source file format of the AN DAO Charter, currently formatted as a
.docx, into (several)
These LaTeX source files can then be versioned and managed in a git repository on the Aragon GitHub as well as locally.
Compiling them with LaTeX results in a
A GitHub action then creates the
This workflow is common for documents such as
- the Ethereum Yellow paper (https://github.com/ethereum/yellowpaper) or
- a whitepaper I wrote myself (https://github.com/ArborVote/ArborVote-whitepaper)
I already did most of the typesetting, which can be found here: github.com/Michael-A-Heuer/AN-DAO-Charter.
The current version is a work in progress.
I am finishing the charter in the next couple of days before the vote.
The final version will be identical content-wise. However, I will need your help to double-check this.
If the proposal will be successful, the Tech Committee can fork the repo into the Aragon GitHub page and set the new IPFS CID reference in the respective smart contract.
.tex source files have several advantages over
.docx binary files:
the source files are human-readable and can be opened with any text editor.
– LaTeX and all related tools are open source in contrast to Word
– the source files can be split into several files (here the different chapters of the charter)
– formatting issues frequently occurring in Word/LibreOffice (and also present in the current .docx version) cannot occur with LaTeX.
they allow versioning of the charter with
gitversioning, changes are much easier to track (simply use
git diff) or use the GitHub frontend
– this saves time and efforts every time the charter is amended/altered
– we can easily collect several issues/fixes and put them in a single pull-request
– the version number and git commit ID can be automatically included into the generated
– this makes it easier to fork the AN DAO Charter in case other communities want to use them in their own projects
Overall, this proposal aims to make things cleaner, easier to maintain, and more automated, which might increase the adoption of this charter.
To my best knowledge, no limitations exist to the benefits mentioned above.
Next week (November 8).
I invite the community to suggest improvements and check for errors by opening an GitHub issue or writing here in the forum.
Skills and previous experience in related or similar work:
I worked professionally with LaTeX in my past academic career, where I did typeset several journal articles and scientific documents. I also have experience with GitHub actions.
Amount of ANT requested:
150 ANT €560 in ANT
Escrow where funds shall be transferred: https://greet.me/heuer
Funds go to me and correspond to my normal hourly wage.
The creation of the LaTeX files and typesetting took me +8 hours last weekend so far.
Finishing it up, formatting, working through issues, error checking, some maintenance will likely take up 8 additional hours.