Impacts of paying to vote

ant
voting

Personally I think Aragon is an extremely interesting project. Stumbled upon it last week and have been vividly reading the blog and started playing around with some dev tools.

There is one question that has been dangling around in my head and couldn’t find any articles/papers/responses to. That is the question of: “what is the impact of having to pay to cast a vote?”. If I understand correctly the amount of gas that a vote costs is independent of how many ANT one has currently. This means that for people with less shares the relative cost to vote is more.

From what I understand from reading about Aragon’s mission the project tries to enable anyone to start organizations without being dependent on the big/middle man. But I see some things in Aragon where I have the feeling this is not helping to bring that mission to a success.

Anyone with little shares due to being “poor” but trying to fight him/herself upwards is double disincentivized to vote. Both their voting power is disproportionate to “the big guy” due to having less ANT but also the costs to vote are of more significance.

This way I assume many of the smaller agents on the chain will vote less essentially making the voting power of the “rich” even stronger. From what I understand that is exactly what Aragon is trying to prevent. Looking at some of the major economic systems where there is more power in the hand of the rich, I feel the big guys are more benefiting from political decisions than the “Maria’s”. Isn’t the way the voting on Aragon is set up right now making that dis-balance even stronger?

Absolutely @beerd, and we’ve been exploring a lot of different ways to approach voting both here on the forum and in posts like this one.

The main reason we don’t have better on-chain voting systems is that they’re difficult, for one reason or another (typically computation or sybil-related), and token-weighted voting is an effective approach in the short term. We’re doing a lot of research to reduce the costs of voting, as you’ll see in the blog post, as well as alternative methods of voting, like liquid democracy, council voting, etc.

• Casting a vote must be virtually free (no transaction fee or lower than $0.01) for the voter. Voter apathy is a huge issue in and of itself, therefore we must reduce friction as much as possible. Removing the psychological burden of having to pay to vote will get us a long way towards making voting more appealing and accessible.

Love it! Seems obvious to me now but very nice to hear your minds are thinking about issues like these! Excited for the future.