This proposal has been updated to simplify the discussion below and clarify the practical implications of this vote. The original proposal is copied below for reference.
As @evanaronson raised here, we need to deploy a new DAO that supports delegated voting and the requirements specified in the Proposal: Transfer the Aragon Project Funds to an Aragon DAO Governed by (Delegated) ANT. The current AN DAO was deployed on Aragon Govern and does not support delegation. There is no need to discuss and vote on deploying a new Delegate Voting DAO, because we need to. You can read more about the AA’s timeline regarding the treasury transfer and deployment of the Delegate Voting DAO here.
The main point of discussion is what happens to the AN DAO when the new Delegate Voting DAO is deployed? To help address this broad concern, I’ll separate the different elements of AN DAO into different Forum posts and reframe the questions to be as clear and pragmatic as possible.
- Governance : This is the topic of this proposal. The subsequent discussion on this thread and the vote(s) should be limited to AN DAO governance (ie. the AN DAO Charter).
- Finance : These questions will be addressed in a separate Financial Proposal and will determine what happens to the AN DAO Treasury if/when the AN DAO Charter is terminated.
- Community : This is an open-ended discussion where the AN DAO community can discuss how it wishes to continue advancing Aragon’s Manifesto and participate in the future of the Aragon Project.
The Delegate Voting DAO will enact a new Charter on-chain to prepare for the treasury transfer, please see timeline here. This said, ANT Holders should decide whether they want to uphold or terminate the AN DAO Charter, when the Charter of the Delegated Voting DAO is enacted.
- If a new Charter for the Delegate Voting DAO is enacted by an ANT Holder vote, do we terminate the AN DAO Charter?
- If the result of Question 1 is “Yes”, when is the AN DAO Charter terminated?
- 15 days after the Charter for the Delegate Voting DAO is enacted
- 30 days after the Charter for the Delegate Voting DAO is enacted
The financial risks of terminating the AN DAO Charter are addressed in the following Financial Proposal : FINANCIAL PROPOSAL : FUTURE OF AN DAO FUNDING. Both proposals will be put to vote on Aragon Voice at the same time to facilitate cross-referencing.
Original Post for reference (not being voted on)
I would like to surface a critical discussion that @ronald_k (legal counsel to the AA and member of the AN DAO compliance committee) shared in the forum as a comment. Due to the nature of this discussion and to give us all clarity on the path forward, we will formally put the options proposed to a 30 day discussion in the Forum and a 14 day voting period on Aragon Voice.
He posed the question:
What options exist to modify/restructure the current AN DAO to accommodate delegated voting and adjust the charter to best fit the new structure?
And provided the following options:
(1) Amend the current Charter (in this case, we would remain bound to the immutable guidelines);
(2) Dissolve the current AN DAO and establish a new one; (dissolving its governing charter (to be substituted by a completely new one))
(3) Fork the current AN DAO and start a new one;
Putting this important decision up for discussion (30 days) and vote (14 days) will give us all clarity on the path forward to evolve the governance of the Aragon Network.