We are requesting $55,200 for the duration of Season 1 ($12,300 per month + completion bonus) for the purpose of the creation of a Data and Insights Squad within the Ops Guild. This squad will initially have three major objectives:
- North Star Objective: create a consensual definition of Active DAOs in the Aragon Network and planning for tracking data for Active DAOs
- Operational KPIs: aid the ESD and the community to assess their performance so teams can have the metrics to deliver on their proposals. This means create, manage, deliver and support the structures within the DAO (squads, working groups and Guilds) with their relevant Metrics and KPIs
- Alignment with AA: we envision working extremely closely with the AA, specifically Martin Garcia as a member of our Squad.
We will detail below how we will achieve each one of these objectives as well as the methodologies, resources and tools necessary.
Given the importance of the number of Active DAOs (North Star Metric, or NSM) in the Aragon Network as a guiding principle, it is mandatory that a clear and measurable definition exists. Currently, different areas in AN DAO, AA and AL probably have their own definition of what an Active DAO is, resulting in a lack of clarity and focus on the most impactful areas to deliver growth of Active DAOs.
Through the proposed Quantitative (on and off chain) and Qualitative methods described, as well as the workshop process, we will be able to reach a consensual definition of Active DAOs — possibly by segment. We will then put in place the processes necessary to monitor these metrics over time and make them available to the DAO.
At the end of Season 1, our objective is to produce a consensual definition of an Active DAO which can be used consistently and widely by the DAO. Once this definition is in place, we will develop the measurements of this Metric and deliver real time data going forwards.
We will be greatly aided by the proposed work to be done by Flour.works. This will provide all the discovery process for on-chain data and a template and starting point to build upon. This depends on the Flower.works proposal being approved.
Therefore, in parallel with the work done by Flour.works , we, the Data and Insights Squad will:
- Off chain data review - understand other data sources such as: proposals and votes on Aragon voice, discord activity and community numbers, etc. needed for understanding the Active DAOs
- DAO segmentation - We currently are aware that there is a ‘DAO Universe’ spreadsheet within AA that has every single DAO in the Aragon ecosystem (estimated 5000). We propose to analyze this data source to be able to create a DAO segmentation and prioritization to be taken
Qualitative DAO interviews - we will hand select a total of 10 DAOs from the proposed segments to conduct in-depth user (client) interviews and gather qualitative data.
- While this is an exploratory type of qualitative research and therefore hard to predict deliverables. However, the primary objective of this research is to uncover the dynamics of operation of different DAO segments (investment, NFT, Gaming, etc.), what do they see as their Key Indices of Operation, what is the likely hood that they will spawn new DAOs, what are the challenges of remaining in operation, gain some insight on how governance and community management is different in different segments of DAOs, understand their perception of treasury management and develop an overview of their expectation to be in operation in the next 12 to 18 months. If the AA team (Martin, Harry, Ramon) would like to add more to these deliverables, everyone’s feedback is welcome!
- Consensus workshop - We will then conduct and guide a workshop inviting everyone (AN DAO, AA, AL) so that key stakeholders can learn about the different definitions, determine pros and cons and contribute to reaching a consensus on the ideal definition for an Active DAO which will be used in all Metrics henceforth.
In order to make sure that squads, working groups and guilds are being efficient and productive it is necessary to measure their KPIs. While some within AN DAO have already organised their own KPIs, the majority of squads, working groups and guilds we have spoken to have asked for our help to develop and monitor these KPIs.
By investigating, collating and presenting performance data for the organisms of AN DAO, the Data and Insights Squad will provide key strategic information for the optimization of the AN DAO Operations. The ultimate goal is to optimize and track the operation of AN DAO to achieve our Chartered objectives.
At the end of Season 1, our objective is to have a dashboard displaying the KPIs for different squads and guilds within AN DAO. Moreover, we propose to provide support to the Guilds and Squads to help to interpret, action and develop new KPIs as necessary.
We propose that over Season 1 we will collect the necessary data, analyse it, provide access via a dashboard and conduct monthly meetings to help the teams to incorporate these metrics int their workflow. Namely the priority areas are:
- Executive Sub DAO
- People Guild
- Community Experience
- Learning and Experimentation
- Talent Scouting
- Ops Guild
- Finance and Treasury
- Governance squad
- Growth squad
While we have gathered some of the necessary KPIs we are aware that there are still many KPIs that need to be developed and that these metrics will change over Season 1. We have considered these possible scenarios in the planning.
Overall the methodology for different metrics will vary. Some will be able to be brought straight from the sources while others will require manipulation. For a complete list of metrics we are working towards at this moment please review this spreadsheet (and add yours too!) https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KdKie2hOJiv1EIqm__bISmtdZ8UdMqgoqPhsVuse2js/edit#gid=1418176630
While this is a more “traditional” type of research, we foresee some degree of experimentation. Ideally the data for all metrics (as well as the Active DAO metric above) would be housed in one central, updatable, flexible and quick location. The bounty of Data Engineer would also support this task.
Moreover, we would like the result to be also displayed in the form of interactive dashboards so that everyone will be able to access and manipulate with minimal friction and small learning curve.
There may also be additional tooling necessary, such as a dashboard service or hosting.
We encourage new talent to join our Data & Insights Squad during Season 1. We recognize that there will be new talent willing to join and help us on various tasks throughout the Season 1. We allocate USD 2000 monthly on a Coordinape circle to reward and stimulate new joiners. New joiners will be offered the space to join as contributing members of the Data and Insights Squad in the next season.
Additionally we are proposing the following bounty:
Data Engineer — Collaborative Bounty considering ~15 hours per week.
- The responsibility of the Data Engineer will be to create a central location to house all the data in a consistent format. The Data and Insights squad will work in conjunction with the Data Engineer to plan and build a ‘Data Warehouse’ (DW), a database for storing raw, clean, standardized and internally consistent data. This data will originate from various sources (Discord chat, AN forums, voting/governance data, AN on-chain data, contributor profiles, financial data, etc).
- Timeline & Deliverables
- For this plan to succeed we depend on certain Human Resources and their ability to connect in a positive, helpful, timely and supportive way.
- We are proposing a Minimum Viable Product. This means that priorities have to be ruthless and there not every request will be able to be fulfilled.
- If no one applies for the Data Engineer Bounty this could prove to be a bottleneck on the operation as Data Scientists need data to work on. On the very short term we are already without an Engineer so this is not an issue, but maybe I need to work with Tayy if this lasts for more than 2 weeks.
- We acknowledge that the proposed objectives will require a lot of work. Based on the findings, the scope of deliverables may change or we may not be able to deliver in one season alone all the deliverables proposed. We would therefore use Season 2 to complete the delivery.
Fabs Martins - 20 hours per week
Fabs has extensive research experience. Qualitatively, Fabs add analysis, interviews and reporting. Quantitatively, Fabs will help to develop measurements, reporting and prsentation. Finally, Fabs will be fundamental in the interpersonal aspect of this proposal. https://linkedin.com/in/fabsmartins
Fabs#8423 - 0xbF0f24fD34bC76CD6d8Eb37cc99d4477ed3a98FB
Julija Bainiaksina - 20 hours per week
Julija’s Experience - Background in engineering and data science. Holds PhD in machine learning and NLP. Worked as data scientist in finance and retail industries. Keen to adapt the knowledge & experience in web3.
Julija’s LinkedIn - https://www.linkedin.com/in/julija-bainiaksina-a906764a/
Julija’s wallet - drjulija.eth (0x3ce6268dEaE71b8Cd8C1331b911A4eE58dEBCE38)
Sam - 15-20 hours per week
Github - https://github.com/kimsammie
Our budget for season 1 is $55,200. We have a monthly budget of $12,300, broken down in the table below, as well as a completion bonus on successful delivery of our objectives.