Frame's Flock Proposal

We’re excited to share a draft of our Flock proposal with everyone and look forward to your feedback!

Frame’s Flock Proposal

If you haven’t yet, go download Frame v0.2! Frame has expanded its platform beyond first-class hardware support and now also supports hot accounts using a mnemonic phrase, keystore.json or private keys. But that’s not all, there’s one more account type in v0.2 to discover: Aragon smart accounts!

If you haven’t heard about Aragon smart accounts yet, they use your Aragon DAOs agent functionality to allow you to act as your DAO anywhere your other Frame accounts can. This means using your DAO with Uniswap, Compound, OpenSea or any other dapp/protocol!

In addition to expanding our accounts platform, Frame v0.2 has added the ability for users to create their own connections to Ethereum and IPFS with the flip of a switch in Frame. This means truly unstoppable access for any dapp using this infrastructure, including Aragon! We will be building more exciting integrations with these local connections over the next few months.

https://github.com/aragon/flock/blob/master/teams/Frame/Q4-2109%20%26%20Q1-2020.md

3 Likes

Hey @jordan,

Thanks for submitting this proposal!

The following are personal thoughts:

At first glance I’m pretty excited by the ability for Frame to be an onboarding tool for Aragon. That’s a very interesting angle. Do you already have in mind the kind of parcour the users could have? What guides and what functionalities in what order would bring the user to Aragon orgs?

Quick remark re the financial. It is a pretty contentious topic these days as you might have seen. Could you detail the rational behind the payroll amount? I expect the question would come up anyway

Also I’d personnally prefer seeing more ANTs and less $/DAI in the package. You can use this thread think about the ANT package.

Last but not least, there has been discussions for creating more agile roadmaps for Flock teams by unbundling proposals. Monolithic 6-12months proposals can be hard to deal with when it comes to Flock team collaboration. Shorter term proposals could help Flock teams plan continuously together as they submit proposals while adjusting over time. What would you think about cutting this proposal in two? The first set of deliverables would be executed in the coming quarter and funded this given ANV, the second set of deliverables would be subject to adjustments and would have to be approved and funded during next ANV. This is not a strong opinion, but I think it would be worth investigating given our recent experience with Flock.

Let me know if you need clarifications

2 Likes

+1 on everything @LouisGrx said.

Contractors Audits | Creative | Legal $46k

I think you are vastly underestimating the cost of security audits. Aragon actually has a program in place for security for Flock teams. Perhaps it would make more sense to specifically state that you’re going to use the Flock process for security audits, and then you could use the rest of this chunk for creative/legal stuff. Otherwise, this could lead to conflict down the road if some people expect you to pay for your own security audits, but your budget isn’t large enough for that (which it isn’t).

1 Like

Thanks @LouisGrx and @burrrata!

For onboarding we want to experiment with the ability to trigger guided UX. This could be triggered by a web app or by scanning a QR code, etc and would drop you into a guided mode for Aragon. Once we’re in this mode there is a lot we can do: spin up a pre-funded burner account or maybe in the future create a personal DAO smart account that is funded with Aragon meta transaction credits. We can launch the unstoppable ENS/IPFS Aragon client from Frame and create a shortcut to it for users. We could even launch the Aragon client pointed to a specific DAO and/or activate the client’s own guided mode.

One important point on this, we shouldn’t think about this functionality just for single users that hear about Aragon and want to try it. I think this is a very valuable and important feature for bigger teams, communities, organizations that want to start using Aragon. Those groups will be able to send out a simple link to all members and everyone will be able to seamlessly get up and running using their DAO without any external support.

Payroll breakdown is 72k for each senior engineer and 48k for myself and a full-time operations and communications person. As for contractors, 30k will be allocated to ongoing security audits (we’ve done 3 audits so far and thinks this should cover our near-term needs but we’re open to Flock’s input on process) 10k to cover legal expenses as we grow and start hiring people full-time and 6k for creative work, mainly asset creation (illustration/motion/video) that we can use for guides and showing Frame/Aragon functionality. We worked hard to keep this proposal as lean and focused as possible. We think 6 months is the minimum healthy timeline we would need to complete these initiatives which will greatly benefit from being developing in parallel and iterated on together.

3 Likes

Please do share! Who are these wonderful auditors you speak of and where can I find them?

Also, the Flock program has a security program… so… you’re saying you want cash to run your own security audits rather than letting Aragon handle that?

1 Like

We’ve worked with Cure53 and Doyensec recently and recommend both of them. We’re completely open to using the Flock security program instead of budgeting for our own audits and would encourage the Flock security program to create a relationship with both Cure53 and Doyensec if one doesn’t already exist.

2 Likes

Aragon Smart Accounts

:+1:

Aragon Desktop via ENS/IPFS

Is the idea that the client would get launched in the user’s Web2 browser but loaded / authenticated via Frame’s IPFS/ENS integrations?

Decentralized Notifications for Aragon DAOs

Will this notification mechanism be extendable to other dapps as well? So users could e.g. get a notification of a CDP liquidation, or a 0x order fill. My thinking is that a notifications feature should either be generalizable at the Frame layer, or should be left to individual dapps to offer to their users at the dapp layer (e.g. the Aragon client now has email notifications built-in).

Aragon Onboarding

My first reaction is that I think this should be something left to the dapp layer. Maybe I’m overthinking it, and I just have to see some prototypes to buy into the vision:

My personal preference is to keep Frame as thin, lean, and mean of an application as possible. I have always loved Frame for its simplicity and laser focus on being a great interface between private keys and dapps. I would encourage Frame to stay this course and avoid straying into competing with dapp browsers or wallets, or getting too involved in the ux of dapps that Frame users are interacting with. There are great teams working at the dapp layer who know what their specific users need but will never be on Frame’s level. I think this creates a great place in the stack for Frame to fit into and own.

Radspec & ENS Integration

:+1:

Frame Mobile PoC to Support Aragon on Mobile

Aragon currently doesn’t have any plans for a native mobile client. How do you see a mobile integration with Aragon working?

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @light!

Is the idea that the client would get launched in the user’s Web2 browser but loaded / authenticated via Frame’s IPFS/ENS integrations?

Yes and we plan to leverage our browser extension to make this feel really seamless. Also the ability to launch the client bundle from a shortcut and an optional --app windowed ux in the future.

Will this notification mechanism be extendable to other dapps as well? So users could e.g. get a notification of a CDP liquidation, or a 0x order fill. My thinking is that a notifications feature should either be generalizable at the Frame layer, or should be left to individual dapps to offer to their users at the dapp layer (e.g. the Aragon client now has email notifications built-in).

We agree and yes in the future notifications could be created for any dapp but for now the focus will only be on Aragon DAOs.

My personal preference is to keep Frame as thin, lean, and mean of an application as possible. I have always loved Frame for its simplicity and laser focus on being a great interface between private keys and dapps. I would encourage Frame to stay this course and avoid straying into competing with dapp browsers or wallets, or getting too involved in the ux of dapps that Frame users are interacting with. There are great teams working at the dapp layer who know what their specific users need but will never be on Frame’s level. I think this creates a great place in the stack for Frame to fit into and own.

We’re still laser focused on connecting users, their accounts (private keys) and dapps. Our goal with this initiative is to make this connection even more clear and strong, especially for new users that have no prior knowledge of Frame’s position in the stack, or even that there is a stack. The majority of features here will be invisible to current users that already know how to setup and use their accounts with dapps, but we think it’s important to fill some of the initial gaps in understanding for new users.

There’s an ecosystem wide issue with onboarding and we feel like we can make a big difference here. If we want tools like Aragon to be adopted by large organizations and communities we think taking steps in this direction is necessary. A goal of Frame has always been that you should be able to tell someone to try it without feeling you also need to give them a tutorial on how to use it. We’re not there yet, especially for users that are new to the space, but we’re working hard to get there.

With Frame + Aragon you have everything you need to onboard a new user, even if they have no experience or prior knowledge of crypto. We think that’s a special relationship and we should capitalize on it.

Aragon currently doesn’t have any plans for a native mobile client. How do you see a mobile integration with Aragon working?

Our goal here is to make all of the integrations we create for Aragon available on all the platforms Aragon supports. This means being able to use your Aragon smart accounts even when you’re on mobile. We will be experimenting with how best to implement this functionality on mobile and gathering feedback from the community.

2 Likes

We’ve submitted our Flock Proposal and related AGP that can be found here and here.

1 Like

I love Frame. I use it every day to do all my Ethereum transaction signing. v0.2 is absolutely stellar work and you should be really proud of it. Some of the deliverables are incredibly important features that I’d love to see built.

However, I cannot personally vouch for a proposal that will pay average salaries of $10.4k. Frame is an immature product, with no PMF nor a path to get there and the daily active users are probably in the low double digits.

I’m sorry, but I won’t be supporting this proposal (at its current state) when it gets to the ballot.

1 Like

@jorge What do you recommend for average salary? We’ve had push back hiring part-time people at these rates and they’re below the market rate where I live. We used current contributors input and https://buffer.com/salary/senior-engineer/high to ballpark what we would need. Do you have a better method?

I would do whatever is needed to be able to hire a couple full-time people to help me. I’ve been doing this as the only full-time member for a while and it’s a massive amount of work. I would even remove my own salary from the proposal if it made the numbers right and meant the opportunity to give Frame the team it needs (and has needed for awhile now) to really build and support our initiatives and to prove we would be a valuable member of Flock.

2 Likes

Also, to clarify (without nitpicking, as @jorge’s point is still 100% valid either way) we believe active Frame users are in the low triple digit (rather than low double digit) range based on downloads/auto-updates and browser extension installs. We also believe we’re on a promising path to product market fit — though if we join Flock that path would be superseded by and merged with Aragon’s path to product market fit. A path we believe would be greater than the sum of its parts and a path we believe Frame would have a valuable impact on as organization-wide on-boarding/coordination (notifications) and multi-chain support grow in importance. We welcome @jorge’s feedback about what changes to our proposal would gain his support.

If you value your team highly, reflecting this in the ANT package instead of salary could be worth considering.

Flock ANT packages are ‘traditionally’ vested over 4 years, with a 1 year cliff. They have a pretty high upside and are important for teams to have/feel ownership in the governance of the project.

In my eyes, ANT packages are to be structured and seen as one time packages (although they can be reevaluated and re-approved over time, for example at the occasion of a second Flock application in 6 months).

In the case of Frame’s current application, package is ANT6.6K/year/person. I think this could sit somewhere around 9-11K depending on how bullish the Frame team is regarding the value it plans to deliver in the next 6 months and in the longer term for Aragon. It could be revised upwards/downwards in 6 months. (I invite you guys to check the packages current teams have signed up for and the thread linked above.)

I would see a slightly higher ANT package as a sign of long term commitment and motivation. This would go hand in hand with lowering down the DAI package.

These are personal thoughts and I don’t speak for @jorge or anyone else here.

1 Like

Agreed. It seems like lots of teams in the Aragon ecosystem are spread too thin doing too many things all at once. Much better to stay focused on your core value prop and perfect that obsessively.

+1 on ANT alignment! :slight_smile:

Following the feedback of some community members we’ve decreased our DAI budget by 20% and increased our ANT alignment package following Louis’ feedback. We’ve kept our proposal focused and will over-deliver on our initiatives. We’ve made it our mission with this proposal to prove Flock works. We’re a small and lean team who has proven we can ship mainnet software and we will continue working to make Aragon more valuable. We think our vision for adding value to Aragon is compelling and thoughtful and we hope others see the impact we could have if included in Flock.

1 Like

Agree. Doing the math, it’s an average of $120k/year, which seems extremely expensive and way above average from any other Flock team.

I like the proposal, but that’s my main worry!

@luis We have decreased our DAI budget in the updated proposal!

1 Like

Cool! It’d still be $107k/person/year though

Living in Switzerland (where talented AND experimented devs are that expensive), I’ll support this Flock proposal with all my ANT’s.

In my opinion, developments like Frame can have a much greater impact on adoption than other more “applicative”, Flock funded developments.
Priority must remain on improving UX/UI, from onboarding stage to regular interaction, for the non-techies.

Other recent discussions about product market fit on these forums are related to that kind of decisions.

2 Likes