Financial Proposal - Fund Bounties for Leads through Dwork

Hi ESD Members.

Posting a proposal for the Executive Sub-DAO to fund $20k per Month to be spent on Bounties in Dwork posted by AA/AL Leads and other DAO leads to seed increased integration between teams.

Rational

Currently there is a lack of integration between the DAO and the core team. There is also a feeling of a lack of band width for a lot of tasks in the Core team, leads would like to Bounty out work but do not have the mechanism to do so and they can’t rewrite a proposal every time for small bounties.

Objective

The request is for $20k in bounties per month for the leads to be able to bounty out certain tasks. This will all be facilitated through the DAO Ops team at first where they will post the bounty for the respective lead in Dwork. This is to allow the system to be set up correctly at first. In the second phase (season 2) it is anticipated that leads will just post bounties directly themselves.

Deliverables

All bounties posted will follow the SMART deliverables framework with clear guidelines for leads. Part of the reason for including DAO Ops is to make sure they are posted with Smart deliverables initially.

• Core tasks are integrated with the DAO (4 core leads post at least 1 bounty)
  • Goal to fund 15 Bounties (5 per month) to be deemed a success with a top level at 30 Bounties (10 per month)

Bounties can be posted up to a maximum of $3000 in phase one and leads will have the autonomy to choose the bounties, they will have to set clear deliverables and track them for a bounty to be paid out.
This will allow us to fund a minimum of 10 bounties per month over the next three months.

Routine

There will be one report per month highlighting the work that has been completed. In Dwork it will be black and white on pay outs, either the bounty has been completed and paid or it has not been completed and will not be compensated.

Strategic Alignment

• More Work is completed with more opportunity for contributors
  • Core team must engage and track bounties therefore integrating with the DAO increasing transparency
  • If work is posted by a lead it can be assumed to be a priority in growing the network given the time investment for the lead to track and formulate the bounty
  • Better information flows between the respective teams

Limitations and Risks

• Core team do not post bounties due to work needed to formulate a clear bounty
  • Bounties are not completed to an adequate level
  • Risk that the right contributors are not found for the bounties or the price level is set incorrectly
  • More bounties are needed than funds available.

Team
All Aragon leads - this will be a bounty by bounty initiative and it will be up to the individuals to choose if a bounty is necessary, set the KPIs and decide if they have been completed to an adequate standard

Alex Clay will compile the report each month

Funding request

We request $60,000 with the 70/30 USDC/ANT Split paid through Dwork for the remainder of season 1.

4 Likes

1/3 Approved: @daniel-ospina @fartunov Thanks for this proposal @AlexClay reducing the administrative burden (proposals) to just GSD is an immediate need with strategic purpose and clear deliverables. With the responsibility for establishing and assessing deliverables pushed out to the leads with the highest operational context I hope this can prove a highly-effective path for ongoing community funding. cc @Ricktik6

1 Like

As discussed - this is a long overdue step, should probably have been the first initiative within the DAO. So wholeheartedly in support. It will close the rift that the current DAO design has created between AA/AL and direct DAO contributors, so ultimately would lessen the load on @AlexClay @b3n, myself and others who are stretching to bring the network together.

I am a bit concerned that the commitments here are overly structured while team leads within AA and AL so far have very little information how to take advantage of this. We are a third in the month of May…getting 10 bounties published this month would be a stretch

To clarify - I support the funding request, while I would be pleasantly surprised if it hits the targets as currently set. I think it could be a success even if the stated objectives are not met and we are arbitrarily attaching metrics so we can just measure something.

P.S. Request for bounty - let’s get a ballpark across DeWork and other such platforms of the typical payout of bounties per type to use as benchmark for next seasons

1 Like

The proposal for setting up bounties/ micro tasks on Dework is well thought out i have experience with Dework an awesome platform that enhances community participation and enables deliverables are met in time if the proposal goes through i will be glad chimming in, thanks @AlexClay

1 Like

Thanks for the voice of support, agree the KPIs are maybe high, personally I feel like were are at level 0 of integrating the two Orgs and if this moves the needle towards level 1 I would deem that a success.

I have also reduced the number to 15 will be deemed a successful experiment with 30 being the top goal that we will strive for.

Lets get that bounty live asap.

1 Like

Hey All,

Quick Update on the bounties that have been posted in Month 1 bellow. You can find the AA lead bounties by filtering the combined page as well here: Aragon Network DAO | Dework

Report from Month 1 - May 2022

11 Bounties Completed ($2500)
1 Bounty in Progress ($300)
4 Bounties to be assigned ($1200)

Total $4000

KPI From Proposal - 10 Bounties per month

The Main Completed Bounties have been translation tasks for Ukrainian and Russian.

Completed Bounty Links:

Ukraine Translation
Translation of “What is a DAO?” article to Ukrainian
Translation of “How to DAO: Answers for Beginners” article to Ukrainian
Translation of “What Is It Like to Join a DAO?” article to Ukrainian
Translation of “How to Join a DAO” article to Ukrainian
Translation of “DAOs as Purpose-Led Organizations” article to Ukrainian
Translation of “What is a DAO?” article to Russian
Translation of “How to DAO: Answers for Beginners” article to Russian
Translation of “What Is It Like to Join a DAO?” article to Russian
Translation of “How to Join a DAO” article to Russian
Translation of “DAOs as Purpose-Led Organizations” article to Russian

CC @fartunov @lee0007 @daniel-ospina @Ricktik6

2 Likes

1/3 approved cc @Ricktik6

2/3 approved.

@Ricktik6 as discussed let’s please link the bounties to the output where applicable

1 Like

3/3 Approved cc @Ricktik6

@AlexClay @anukriti10, would be great if approved bounties (in the need payments row) contain a proof of delivery in the description (e.g. a link towards the written article).

Would be one of the standards that we should have with DeWork, so we have transparency in the bounty board itself.

2 Likes

Hey All,

Quick Update on the bounties that have been posted in Month 2 bellow. You can find the AA lead bounties by filtering the combined page as well here: Aragon Network DAO | Dework

We are starting to see a better diversity of Bounties being posted and completed now. Goal for the final month will be to try increase the number of technical bounties.

Report from Month 2 - June 2022

5 Bounties Completed ($7450)
1 Bounty in Progress ($300)
3 Bounties to be assigned ($900)

Total $8650

KPI From Proposal - 10 Bounties per month
(Running total of completed bounties for the Three Months 15/30 Goal)

The Main Completed Bounties have been translation tasks for Ukrainian and Russian.

Completed Bounty Links:
Design Bounty
Culture Catalyst
Humanode integration
Data Labelling
Translation

CC @fartunov @lee0007 @daniel-ospina @Ricktik6

2 Likes

1/3 approved keen to see more technical bounties too cc @brent @alibama

3 Likes

This is a great initiative but leads creating bounties with no transparency on why people are paid and what they are doing - no description, no deliverables, no time frame, no success metrics - is a NO GO for future funding. I have edited the screenshot here to remove ONLY the funding allocated. Funding is released on this occasion to honour someone else’s commitment to the bounty holder(s).

To be very clear this is a one-time pass from me, it is the responsibility of the leads to provide this information. If basic transparency is not provided, I will not approve funding for future bounties and the responsible lead will be the person to explain why they failed to secure funding.

Can you link the Bounty which does not have the tasks or submissions @lee0007, it may be the ANT sub tasks which are showing up with no deliverables in the payment tab.

The USDC main tasks should all have the details on the KPI and task that should have been completed.

All the work that has been completed will also be in the submissions tab of the main task.

I don’t want to draw attention here to the bounty holders. Both are linked in your report @AlexClay. There are no details to describe, frame or measure success at the subtask level either, albeit one at least appears to be a discrete task. For transparency there needs to be bounty information at the main task level. Basic best practice could require

• Description
  • Deadline
  • Reward
  • Success Metric

cc @anukriti10 for work documenting dework process. We asked Ops to ensure success metrics on all bounties season 0

Thank you Alex! 2/3 approved

Flagging this again: There are no links from bounties marked as “completed” to the respective deliverables. Next month I am blocking this payment until resolved

Also seeing a dTech bounty labeled as AA Leads.
last but not least there is $3150 bounty that is above the threshold of the original proposal - It’s okay to get such exceptions through but some disclosure is in order

@AlexClay @lee0007 For every bounty for AA, the bounty request form has description, deliverable, timeline, compensation captured. I have been careful to go back to requestors to specify what success looks like for every bounty.

If for some it is missing, I can take a note and get the aforementioned points captured.

Thank you for the update,
3/3 approved and I hope we can overcome the bounties problems for next reporting

@anukriti Please check the links provided in the reporting above - as two bouties do not yet have these basic requirements.

@lee0007 Ops Guild want to confirm above comments have been taken into consideration and July bounties/creator gigs in DeWork have following fields for ESD review -
Deliverable, Due Date, Success Metrics, Compensation.

1 Like