Draft Vote Text For AN DAO Transfer of Funds

And how would you establish the winning option? As an example, let’s assume the following result:

3 Months - 30%
6 months - 40%
No Extension - 30%

In this particular case, among the options provided, 60% of ANT participating is against a 6-month extension. Are you suggesting that it should be considered the winning option regardless?

1 Like

From your alternative phrasing I gather that you’re not suggesting dropping this question, so voters will have to choose between 3 and 6 months regardless. However, by having two separate dual choice questions, it’s possible to first establish whether the majority of ANT participating is for or against the extension and, should the majority support the extension, establish the preferred length of the extension (which is obviously irrelevant if the majority is against the extension). As you can see from the example I gave in my previous comment, it’s not as straightforward with a multiple choice question because the results may be unclear when it comes to the preferences of the majority of ANT participating.

PS. I don’t want to belabor the point, but I do think it’s important to have clarity on how the winning option is established in a multiple choice question. Also, I’m personally not tied to any particular formulation as long as everyone is on the same page when it comes to understanding the questions and interpreting the results.

I would consider the winning option being the one with the highest participation as most elections go the highest % wins, this is maybe not as black and white as I think though.

In the merged question though, if the majority is against then the vote will be higher than 50% will be No. If it is anything less that then the winner is the one which has a higher % between the two runways.

Agree to not labour the point.

Option 1 - Two separate questions

Option 2 - One Question

Thank you for these visualizations. As you can see, the problem with a multiple choice question is that it doesn’t capture the preference between 3 vs. 6 months of those voters whose first choice is No Extension. In other words, depending on the results, an assumption beyond what the results are saying may need to be made on whether the majority of ANT participating prefers a 3 or a 6 month extension if these were the only two options. If folks don’t see this as a problem, then fine, I’m happy to leave it at that. However, if the goal is to get a clear answer on what the majority of ANT participating prefers, then there are two options:

1. Have two separate dual choice questions (as in the current OP and visualized by @AlexClay as Option 1).

2. (This applies similarly to all multiple choice questions but let’s take the 3 vs. 6 month vs. No Extension as an example:) If less than 50% of ANT participating choose No Extension, and No Extension + 3 Months = more than 50% of ANT participating, consider 3 Months the winning option, even if it has less voting power behind it than 6 Months. For example:

3 Months - 30%
6 Months - 40%
No Extension - 30%

In this case, 3 months would be the winning option if we assume that those who chose No Extension but lost to the majority would prefer a shorter extension to a longer one.

@joeycharlesworth @jorge @luis Perhaps the AA can unambiguously share whether it prefers dual or multiple choice questions and, if the latter, how it would interpret the results of a multiple choice question (i.e. whether the option with most support wins, even if the majority has voted against it, or whether it would apply an additional assumption, as described under point 2 of my previous comment). Once that’s established, we can finalize the questions accordingly.

I don’t actually see this issue with the current set of questions so a concrete example would be helpful.

From what I understand it is the final option that is not clear if both options are yes. You could have a scenario of both 0.1 and 0.3 winning, which would make the vote unclear.

That’s the only one and I would actually recommend changing it to the same format as the runway question, i.e. start with a Yes/No question on whether to change the quorum or not, and then follow up with a choice between 0.1% and 0.3% (which can be be considered irrelevant if the majority prefers to not change the quorum).

1 Like

Yes if we choose to go down the Binary route then this will need to be changed

Here’s what the dual choice question list would look like then:

Question 1 - What structure would you prefer govern the Treasury and the ANT token contract?

• Option 1: Delegative ANT Voting (as described here)
  • Option 2: Aragon Association (AA) as a legal wrapper for the Aragon Network (AN) DAO (as described here)

Question 2 - If Option 1 in Question 1 were to be implemented, would you agree to allowing ANT holders to become voting members of the AA? (Under such an arrangement, the AA would not control the Treasury and the ANT token contract but ANT holders who become members of the AA would have limited liability protection and could vote on decisions to use the AA as a legal proxy for the AN DAO, where necessary.)

• Yes
  • No

Question 3 - If Option 1 in Question 1 were to be implemented, which date would you support as the soft deadline for transferring the Treasury and control of the ANT token contract to the AN DAO and implementing a delegative ANT voting system?

• November 30th, 2022
  • February 28th, 2023

Question 4 - If Option 1 in Question 1 were to be implemented, would you agree to extending the AA and AL runway beyond the implementation date?

• Yes
  • No

Question 5 - If Yes was the winning option in Question 4, how long should the runway be extended after transferring the Treasury from the AA to the AN DAO (beyond the chosen extension, funding would be allocated through a delegative ANT voting system, as described here )?

• 3 months
  • 6 months

Question 6 - Do you agree to lowering the quorum for ANT governance votes (currently at 0.5%)?

• Yes
  • No

Question 7 - If Yes was the winning option in Question 6, what should the new quorum for ANT governance votes be?

• 0.1%
  • 0.3%

@jorge Are you still seeing “potential vote result combinations that would lead to either an invalid/impossible situation and potentially require a further vote or disambiguation rules to clarify”? As far as I can tell, interpreting the result of each of these questions is as straightforward as it gets: majority wins and the relevance of Questions 2-5 and Question 7 depends on the results of Question 1 and Question 6, respectively.

EDIT: I’ve changed “November 30th, 2022” to “implementation date” in Question 4 so that it’s consistent with all the other questions.

In an effort to make sense of this series of options I have EDITED for clear concise consistent logic and use of phrasing.

BEGIN

Q1 What structure do you prefer govern the Treasury and the ANT token contract?

Option A: Delegative ANT Voting (described here)

Option B: Aragon Association (AA) as a legal wrapper for the Aragon Network (AN) DAO (described here)

Q2 IF Option A in Q1 Wins THEN should ANT holders become voting members of the AA on the basis that

1. AA would not control the Treasury

2. AA would not control the ANT token contract

3. ANT holders as members of the AA will have limited liability protection

4. ANT holder as members of the AA have the right to vote on decisions to use the AA as a legal proxy for the AN DAO, where necessary.

• Yes
  • No

Q3 IF Option A in Q1 Wins THEN the soft deadline to implement delegative ANT voting to govern the Treasury and the ANT token contract should be

• 30 November 2022
  • 28 February 2023

Q4 IF Option A in Q1 Wins THEN do you agree to extend the AA and AL runway beyond the soft deadline?

• Yes
  • No

Q5 -IF Yes in Q4 Wins THEN how long should the runway be extended?

• 3 month extention, then delegative ANT voting required for future funding
  • 6 month extentio , then delegative ANT voting required for future funding

Q6 Do you agree to lower the quorum for ANT governance votes from the current 0.5%?

• Yes
  • No

Q 7 - IF Yes in Q6 Wins THEN the new quorum for ANT governance votes should be?

• 0.1%
  • 0.3%

ENDS

This process has highlighted a question

ANT holder as members of the AA have the right to vote on decisions to use the AA as a legal proxy for the AN DAO, where necessary.

As members would voting rights only be enabled on the use of AA as a legal proxy Y/N

Cc @ronald_k @mlphresearch @AlexClay @fartunov @Joan_Arus @evanaronson @alex-kampa @mheuer

Posting what I think the Multiple Choice options could be so people can see:

Question 1 - What structure would you prefer govern the Treasury and the ANT token contract by the soft deadline of the 30th of November?

• Option 1: Delegative ANT Voting (as described here)
  • Option 2: Aragon Association (AA) as a legal wrapper for the Aragon Network (AN) DAO (as described here)

Question 2 - If Option 1 in Question 1 were to be implemented, would you agree to allowing ANT holders to become voting members of the AA? (Under such an arrangement, the AA would not control the Treasury and the ANT token contract but ANT holders who become members of the AA would have limited liability protection and could use the AA as a legal proxy for the AN DAO and vote on AA governance decisions

• Yes
  • No

Question 3 - Would you agree to extending the AA and AL runway beyond November 30th, 2022?

0 Months
3 Months
6 Months
9 Months

Question 4 - Do you agree to changing the quorum for ANT governance votes from 0.5%?

Question 3 we can also make it one choice, down to 0.3 Yes/No to clear the confusion there and make it in line with the current charter.

. @joeycharlesworth @jorge

Could rephrase to say “…and could vote on AA governance decisions.”

2 Likes

would amend this to “could use the AA as a legal proxy for the AN DAO and vote on AA governance decisions”

1 Like

Unless there are any objections from AA committee members prior to the vote going live, the AA shall use this methodology for interpretation of the results.

I believe the discussion you had with Alex and Jorge here clarified a more streamlined path that amends the initial confusion. Also, it seems that we have an agreement about the need for a change in the fundamental document

Great, it looks like the OP has the final list of questions and, in all cases, the answer with the highest support is considered the winning option. Thanks everyone!

EDIT: Note that I’ve also updated this proposal accordingly. Even though the proposal suggests a post-implementation quorum of 0.3% and a 60% support threshold, both are subject to change / separate votes in the context of the planned update of the Charter.

2 Likes

This vote is live on Aragon Voice from June 3, 2022 to June 17, 2022.

Hey Mario, trying to translate the above:

If 51%+ vote to extend the runway in total including all 3 options. Outcome = extend runway based on highest chosen option?

Thanks!
Anthony

In all cases, the AA will consider the answer with the highest support as the winning option.

1 Like