Democratic Voting

How could we start leveraging identity providers such as Civic, in order to only enable verified identities to vote on certain matters?

Examples:

• Enable Catalonians to vote for their independence (this will probably be difficult as while it is relatively easy to verify a citizenship, it is more tricky to verify the residency).
  • Enable a parallel vote to any national election to any verified citizen, just to see how it compares, and as online voting grows, to see the weaknesses and strength of such method.
  • Enable any national to create a vote the government isn’t doing, and enable any citizen to vote on it to see how much support an idea has.
  • Enable a borderless political party to gather support from verified humans.

Essentially, while Aragon will be awesome for the governance of decentralised projects through Plutocracy, or through Futarchy, it would be really nice if we could also start playing with Democracy.

Thank you.

I think all that is necessary for a simple implementation is to create an app that validates some specific identity attestation and mints a single non-transferrable token for the user.

Ok, thank you.

Most likely there will be a cost associated to getting the user verified and approved as well as gas cost and this cost will probably have to be paid by the user somehow, which although not optimal, I don’t see a better way. The freedom to vote without censorship tax I guess.

One aspect I am not sure how it should be handled is that although citizenships are generally stable, they aren’t always forever: can such citizenship proof token be destroyed after say, 10 years? No idea here but I was just thinking DigixDAO has the demurrage fee that apparently removes a percentage of the token on a regular basis, so I was thinking it must be possible to remove the token entirely after a set period.

I will try to see how this can be done and reach to Civic for some more details on their side and report back here.

Citizenship as a non-transferrable token :slight_smile: