DAO for an Open Source Code Academy

Hey All!

I’m brainstorming an idea for Open Source Code Academy for Ethereum. Been building open-source Code Tutorials on ChainShot for the last year and I’m looking forward to amalgamating these tutorials among other resources to create a curriculum for developers new to the Ethereum world.

I would like to create a DAO to run this Academy so that it can take on a life of it’s own and others can use it as a template to create their own! Not quite sure on how to go about this.

My potentially naïve concept of governance is to start out with the initial founders of the organization, each having 1 non-exchangable token for voting purposes. Then create a set of guidelines for becoming a contributor (i.e. creating a tutorial, teaching a class, or through donation). A new contributor can be voted in according to these guidelines and a social consensus. Upon being voted in the new contributor would receive 1 non-exchangable voting token as well.

Does this make sense or is there are better way to set this up?
Any other organizations running similarly?

We have a real-time collaborative classroom app coming out and we’d like to run this similar to existing bootcamps as a mixture of class time and take-home projects, except open-source and decentralized! Started to collect more information on the organization on this forum.

This process is somewhat similar to how we set up the Aragon Coop organization, though we haven’t done too much with it just yet.

One thing to be aware of is with a one person per vote model is that you will vary quickly dilute yourself (for better or worse), which means it is important that each new member has a relatively strong commitment and that there is a process for removing inactive members or you risk finding youself in a situation where the organization’s governance gets “stuck” because there are not enough active members to make quorum.

Rather than one-person one-vote you may also consider non-transferrable merit tokens, so that people can earn voting privileges corresponding to the magnitude of their contributions.

Good idea! I don’t mind the dilution if it works. Would like the organization to take on a life of its own beyond me. By the same token we certainly don’t want to hit any “stuck” points like you mentioned. Especially considering the first iteration of the academy is an experiment and will need a lot of energy from its creators. Need to strike the right balance between giving people a way to contribute and feel ownership while maintaining the ability to move forward at all times. Awesome, thank you, that’s just the input I needed to get started!

Is it possible to do non-transferable tokens through Aragon DAOs currently?

It is possible! See: https://hack.aragon.org/docs/guides-custom-deploy#adding-a-token-and-token-manager-instance

Hi Dan, really excited about this project :grin:

It would be great to take the opportunity to create a general system of authentication that all open-source community could benefit. For example: a DAO that grant certificates of completion for open-source curricula, like this one: https://github.com/ossu/computer-science

Yes, love this idea! Certainly will do this for the courses BUIDL Academy teaches. Would be amazing for graduates to earn a meaningful certificate! Of course, this means the organization will likely need to be rigorous with standards in order to ensure everyone meets a standard.

For a more general system beyond the BUIDL Academy courses, are you envisioning the DAO is looking over the work for students?

Hey that’s great! :raised_hands:

Yes, I believe it make sense to have a group of “curators” that review each student work and vote to approve the certificate. Maybe in the future a court like scheme make sense as-well

Really interesting, love the idea of issuing certificates on course completion. The AragonNFT app that DAppNode developed could be perfect for this: https://github.com/eduadiez/DAppNodeNFT/blob/master/contracts/AragonNFT.sol

Sweet, thanks guys! Aragon NFT looks ideal for this. I am looking forward to insights discovered from this experiment so we can generalize it. It is my hope that if this is successful it can serve as a template for more open-source Code Schools!

Taking both of these suggestions and starting a thread for course certificates! :slight_smile: