Creating a DAO: Constitution

I’m looking for some business guidance on how to properly launch a DAO. My understanding is the founders are like “clock makers” who should bootstrap the organization by drafting a constitution describing how the organization should be structured and managed.

Bylaws would describe fundamental issues and operating procedures would describe the initial rules which the organization should operate under. After the DAO foundation, token holders would have the ability to amend any Bylaws or operating rule by majority ruling. The constitution itself would remain immutable and should include just enough details to ensure that governance remains autonomous under any circumstance.

Is my understanding roughly correct? If so, is there any workbook that would help draft the constitution properly? Or any example of existing DAO documentation that this community considers high quality.

Are there any guidelines regarding token distribution? For instance, is it acceptable for the founders to allocate a minority share of tokens to a company that would be in charge of operations until the organization reaches maturity (i.e. until token holders choose to renew its mandate or replace it).

I understand that there is very little settled law around this but I’m looking for what would be considered proper form.

4 Likes

The Aragon manifesto is considered by the community as the Aragon constitution. It’s not a legal document by any means, but it ranks the core values and principles we all abide by

1 Like

Hey this is really cool :slight_smile: I’ve been thinking a lot about how to create tools, templates, and resources to help people learn about and launch DAOs. A clear process around membership, decision making, and fund management can make a huge difference. As is, it seems like most people are figuring it out as they go, some more successfully than others.

At 1Hihve we’re working on a 1Hive DAO Kit that allows people to replicate our own model, but the goal is to expand that into other frameworks and templates as well. Part of that involves understanding people’s questions about DAOs as well as common problems so that they can successfully launch a DAO for their organization. If you’d like I’d be happy to work with with you to better understand your questions and then create some general guides and templates to help make learning about, deploying, and using DAOs easier. Was there a specific context or usecase you were thinking of?

3 Likes

Note also @bobby88 that AGP-1 (The Aragon Governance Proposal Process) allows for modifying AGP-0 (The Aragon Manifesto) and AGP-1 itself. Just as national Constitutions can have amendments, so too should the bylaws/ manifesto/ Constitution of a DAO, in case the founders got something wrong or the organization outgrows the founding rules/ values. So not only is it not the case that the Constitution would remain immutable, but it may even be inadvisable to make it that way.

4 Likes

Thanks for the info @luis and @light. These documents are a good place to start. @burrrata We’re working on a de-fi platform that tokenizes exotic derivatives. The product is almost ready. We’re more interested in engineering a great pltform than running operations. We’re trying to establish a cooperative that would give full operating control to its members. Feel free to PM me and I’ll give you more details ahead of our public announcement.

2 Likes