Purpose: Charter Improvement Proposals - CIP 2
Status: Public Notification & Drafting
Voting: July 14 - 28
dGov proposes ANT holders approve changes to the Aragon Network DAO Charter in respect to the Aragon Network DAO Agreement S 2 (f) which currently reads
f. Modifications to the Aragon Network DAO Agreement
i. ANT Holders may only modify the rules of this Agreement as follows:
1. The Immutable Guidelines must not be modified.
2. The Mutable Guidelines may be modified by:
a. Majority (more than 50% in favour) vote, with a minimum quorum of 0.5% of ANT
Holders. The ANT Holders must be notified of the suggested amendment through
reasonable means at least thirty (30) days before the beginning of the vote, and
the vote must be open for a minimum of fourteen (14) days for the community to
3. Voting must be organised in Aragon Voice
We propose that ANT holders vote on the following changes
- reduce the minimum quorum from the current 0.5% to 0.3%
- reduce the notification period from 30 to 21 or14 days
- reduce existing ambiguity by clearly defining what constitutes a “majority” and “reasonable means”
- reformatting this section for clarity
The lower quorum can be a temporary measure to ensure we can make the necessary changes to the Charter to make AN DAO ready for the transfer of funds and could be increased in direct proportion to the size of the treasury we hold. Deciding this now would be a safeguard.
The rationale for these recommendations is to enable ANT holders to effectively iterate the Charter, to establish by collective design a living document - as the foundation of AN DAO governance - a document that is easier to read, understand and interact with.
These changes will help address the following barriers to effectively iterating on the Charter
1.Quorum: Historical engagement on proposals of <0.2% of the Network the DAO can not effectively iterate on the Charter, without ongoing and repeated support of major stakeholders
2. Attention: 44 days is a long time to request people’s attention on any single topic
3. Ambiguity: varying interpretations of “majority” and “reasonable means” creates ambiguity
4. Complexity. The current alpha-numeric referencing of the charter is overly complex
Public Notification & Feedback
As per the current Charter: The Argon Network DAO Agreement this proposal is subject to a minimum 30 days of public notification to be followed by a 14-day voting window. We welcome all feedback to help clarify and improve this proposal and will aim to address all comments within 48 hours.
The proposed date for voting to begin is 14 July 2022. We ask ANT holders to vote either Yes or No. The suggested text for the vote is:
- Yes / No, reduce the quorum from 0.5% to 0.1% [removed based on signalling proposal]
- Yes / No, reduce the quorum from 0.5% to 0.3%
- Yes / No, reduce the notification period from 30 days to 21 days
- Yes / No, reduce the notification period from 30 days to 14 days
- Yes / No, approve the proposed text for the Aragon Network DAO Agreement S [TBD]
The vote will be decided by the definition of “majority” advised by the Compliance Committee. To reduce ambiguity a definition will be published as part of the final version of this Proposal and will establish the precedent that dGov will look to uphold for consistency and governance legitimacy. Current compliance advice
The opening of this discussion and notification period means that the above proposal is subject to community and advisory-informed edits. For transparency, dGov will work to ensure that the final text of this proposal and related Charter text will be provided by 7 July 2022, noting items shown as [TDB] will be decided by this vote
Aragon Network DAO Agreement [Indicative Draft Only]
- ANT Holders may only modify the rules of this Aragon Network DAO Agreement as follows
3.1 The Immutable Guidelines must not be modified.
3.2 The Mutable Guidelines may be modified by
a. [TBD] majority vote and
b. minimum quorum of [TBD} % of ANT and
c. ANT holder notified of amendment by reasonable [TBD] means and
d. notified at least [TBD] days before the beginning of the vote, and
e. the vote must be open for a minimum of fourteen (14) days and
f. voting must be organised in Aragon Voice. [subject to results of Tech Agnostic Proposal which could see this clause removed]
- What is our understanding of reasonable means can we simply state forum posts &/or something else to reduce ambiguity?
- Thoughts on quorum + majority to pass changes to the charter?
- What is a reasonable amount of time for this process?
- Immutable Guidelines deserves its own conversation here
- The lower quorum is proposed as a temporary measure and seeking input on when and how this should be increased in future.
For additional content please see Charter Updates - Discussion