Blog: "Aragon Partners with Witnet for Gasless DAO Management on Discord"

I read the article Aragon Partners with Witnet for Gasless DAO Management on Discord but i don’t understand how it works.

1. !setup (dao-name> (user-role> this code invites the Witnet bot to query the discord channel. What does the bot query for?
  2. !proposal (dadline> (description> to:(destination-address> value:(value> data:(data> this code initiates a vote proposal.
    How does the proposal gets initiated and where? All for free?
  3. Once the vote deadline has been reached, the Witnet bot sends a data request to a randomized subset of Witnet nodes known as ‘witnesses’ to query the Discord API for the result.
  4. Each witness commits its version of the result, together with a collateral bond, in an immutable and cryptographically secure manner, such that the results are revealed in unison once the submission window has closed. In the final tally, outlier results are slashed with their bonds distributed to those nodes contributing to the majority or median result.
  5. Upon a successful vote, Witnet creates the Ethereum transaction that was templated in the proposal call with an execution delay to allow time for any challenges to be arbitrated on Aragon Govern. For example, a member could challenge the motion via Aragon Court, if they had spilled coffee on their keyboard and accidentally voted the wrong way.
    Does it make sense to challenge the result if I accidentally voted the wrong way? The result is correct it was my mistake. What would be the most comment challenges? for example if the proposal is against the manifesto? What other challenges could be there?
1 Like

Interesting questions, @Mouyou!

1. When the admin of a Discord server posts the !setup command to a specific channel, it’s telling the bot to listen for proposals posted to that channel, as well as setting what’s the required role for posting proposals to that specific channel.

2. The proposal itself doesn’t generate an onchain transaction. It’s rather the result of the voting which causes the bot to “schedule” the execution of the proposed action on the Aragon Govern contract. So it’s eventually the bot who pays for the gas.

3. If the proposal has been passed, I can’t really imagine any case for the dispute either.

1 Like
  • The Discord Proposal/Vote is connected to a DAO but you don’t need to hold any ERC20 DAO tokens to vote on the proposal. Do the DAO token holder have to vote to allow voting on discord / give a person permission/role to create a discord proposal?
  • Can everyone who has access to the channel vote on the proposal or can the user with the proposal role choose specific user for example only user with a specific badge can vote?

i thought the bot tells the witnet nodes to query the discord api for the results. Once the witnet nodes agree on a result (after the last tally) the witnet nodes? create the ethereum transaction which executes the proposal code if it doesn’t get disputed in the aragon court. So the bot pays the witnet nodes to create the ethereum transaction?
What is the aragon govern contract?

i can imagine if the proposal is against the DAO manifesto it can be challenged in the court before getting executed. Also if somehow most of the Witnet nodes get corrupted then the aragon court can prevent the transaction.