It all started back in November/December with this post Community Initiative: Aragon Cooperative consequense of the obvious lack of engagement from token holders in ANVs.
After that, lots of posts and discussions happened (including a face-to-face meeting during Aracon this january). As a result of all of this, I did post an Aragon Coop DAO - A Minimum Viable Manifesto (MVM) with the intention to route the Coop community to a single direction.
Proposals and discussions did continue (specially aboy incentive to promote engagement) ended up in the AGP-40 and its approval.
At the time, the assets we had in the AragonCoop were:
- A team of Members with a preliminary Membership on-boarding process
- An Identity verification system based on keybase.
- A DAO in mainnet.
Special thanks of course to @lkngtn @stellarmagnet @jjperezaguinaga for leading these first steps (and others that I have been missing now EDIT: like @GriffGreen who lead and reported the first and only face-to-face meeting we had ).
The Aragon Governance Proposal 40 States:
We propose to organise, manage, and drive forward the Aragon Cooperative DAO. Committed to work for the benefit of Aragon and serving our members, we aim to support the cohesion of the Aragon community overall. While leading by example to consider, produce, and promote emergent Cooperative DAO principles, we are equally engaged in the overall Aragon ethos (including exploring the work and outputs taking place herein) and sharing such products with the wider blockchain global ecosystem at large.
Since the main leaders of the AragonCoop were clearly engaged with fullTime product development work, and have no possibility to dedicate all the time the AragonCoop constitution deserves, this AGP was aimend to ask some funds to allocate a dedicated resource for moving forward its operation.
We asked for 15,600 DAI & 6000 ANT for hiring resources to cpver 5 Man Working Days (MWD) per week. AGP-40 got approved (yeeeeiii!!) and here we are:
AragonCoop after AGP-40 approval
We had our first meeting just two days after its approval, aimed to look for agreements on how to set and agree the first steps and tasks to perform…It was kind of a mess as the objectives were not reached and a significant part of the meeting went on how the different individuals had different opinions and ideas about how to allocate the found (Governance isn’t easy, that’s why we are all here in this space, don’t we?).
In any case, four working groups were set in order to kick-off works on Coop Governance Frameworks / Workflow Design (how to allocate resources with our DAO) Documentation / AGP/ANV Proposals for Engagement Participation.
The sustainability of all this four working groups is in doubt at the momment as three of them depends on individuals engagement and we still lack of a framework that allign incentice to assure the completion of kind of work. Let’s see how this evolve in the next weeks!
During that first week, we focused on understanding the different visions and opinions from the community, and ended up in setting a preliminary AragonCoop Governance Process framework that would serve us to gathere some insights from the whole community in order to ratify that (what I call) the Delegated Resources (those who will get paid out from the AGP funds) are on the right path and their actions as regards the community would be validated.
The vote was done on our Rinkeby TPS DAO and here the results:
ACGP-0: The Aragon Coop Manifesto: APROVED
ACGP-1 AGP-40 Scope Ratification: APROVED
ACGP-2 Off-Chain Governance Model for Membership onboarding process: REJECTED (lack of quorum)
So today we have clear that we have a clear values statement in which we should be basing our decisions and the AragonCoop community is accepting in using the gathered funds for paying dedicated Delegated Resources (btw, I came out with this rol name recently, but I don’t like it, any ideas about how we should call this hired people?)
WIP and next steps
- Membership Onboarding: in this week call we have agreed the willing to be members should follow the current on-boarding process, with the plus that we will ask aspirants to participate in one of our weekly calls.
- Workflow & Resource allocation: there are currently a couple of proposals in discussion, looking to implement the Payroll app (which should be ready in 2/3 weeks time AFAIK) in our mainnet DAO. We might need to ask the community to pay for our work directly with the Finance App, or maybe using the Giveth App for having a validation of the performed work/deliverables from a trusted member from our community e.g. AragonCoop members that are also employees of the Aragon Ecosystem (Flock teams/AA or even people from the Aragon Community Multisig).
It has been notice that the current permissions on the Mainnet DAO for the Finance App resides on the Merit Token, this merit is not following the 1 member : 1 token premise, so we might be soon changing that permission to the MBR Token.
- Delegate Resource Tracing process: as anyone who wants to be a DR (again! any ideas for this naming) should have a possibility to do it, we will work on a proposal to set up a proper process and requirements for this. We would also work on a reporting system so anyone can have a look on what we are doing.
- Documentation: we will continue to document all related to the AragonCoop and will have some thoughts about how to help the different Aragon Flock teams in helping with the documentation in a noob oriented way, so we start attracting not technical profiles to use Aragon apps!
- AGP-10 CFDAO: in order to prevents attacks to this funding DAO, the Coop will be working on a proposal to curate submissions and will probably submitt a new AGP for the next ANV.
- Landing page: we will start on deciding (all together of course) the message that we want to expose to the public, and the different services that we would be able to offer. BTW! We need a logo! if anyone has a proposal, here a issue in which you are invited to participate.
I would like also to remember that the ultimate scope of the work of the following 3 months will be to ask for a coherent NEST grant, in order to build a proper Product that will adjust to the Cooperative needing and hopefully to whatever community that will find value on it. (Or whatever the ultimate scope will pivote to! That’s the beauty of descentralized organizations, you never know where the community will lead you!)
Please! Share your views, comments, vetos, whatever …