Aragon dTech Season 2 Proposal Discussion

Hey All,

Thanks for the proposal. Just for transparency, what will the average and medium compensation be (trying level the budget for other proposals), also the time commitment for core members.

Excited to see MAS come together as well, how much is the time being split, see this as a very important initiative.

Many thanks,

Alex

2 Likes

What exactly is the difference between a contributor and a core contributor or are they the same?

Thanks for the proposal. Just for transparency, what will the average and medium compensation be (trying level the budget for other proposals), also the time commitment for core members

40+ hours per week or however long it takes to ensure the job is done and the obligations and deliverables in this proposal are met. Compensation is at min $1000 for contributors who have reoccurring bounties and at most $7500 for core contributors that take on a core role ie MaS, 3rd Party Integration. There may be other community members who which to contribute to a single bounty and leave also, that would obviously be the amount of the bounty. There are funds for an extra core contributor at $7500 per month if the need arises over the 8 months. If dTech does not have a need to add another core contributor, those funds will not be used as has happened in dTech’s season Zero and season 1.

2 Likes

What exactly is the difference between a contributor and a core contributor or are they the same?

Glad you asked because I have struggled to elegantly identify and define the two even though there are clear and distinct differences between the two:

• Core Contributor:

Full time dedication. Has proven dependability. Does not have specific start and end to each task performed. Has major tasks assigned to them by the guild, Shadow other Core Contributors for resiliency, bounties are not part of their salary compensation, has more trust and admin access (Notion, Hubspot, deWork etc). Core contributors are responsible for making sure larger deliverables of the proposal are met.

• Contributor:

Part time or less than part time attention, not yet shown dependability, compensated only by bounty funds, normally limited administrative access, performs specific tasks which normally have a start and end date or milestone. Responsible to complete deliverables only on single bounties.

Having this distinction is important. If the DAO has medical benefits in the future who receives them? What about DAO meetups, who goes? Short term disability? Who gets an aragon.org email address? What if a DAO becomes a government regulated entity in some fashion… who is a W2 employee vs 1099 contractor (IRS tax classification in the US). Having some structure in place from the start could help us solve these issues if they arise in the future.

2 Likes

Well put Brent. We used the term Flexible Contributor for our part-time contributors in the proposal and then we are sticking with Creators for the bounty holders.

@defidragon and I are working on clarifying documentation and processes for exactly this. We had something solid down, however, the needs of the DAO have changed so we had to back track a bit.

2 Likes

Would be nice to have a table or an explanation of who is doing what. This way if I have any questions on who the DRI for a specific task is I can just reference this proposal.

2 Likes

Would be nice to have a table or an explanation of who is doing what. This way if I have any questions on who the DRI for a specific task is I can just reference this proposal.

I don’t think this belongs in the proposal for two reasons:

1st, the proposal is not aimed at a single person for who is responsible for deliverables, all core contributors are responsible.

2nd, if John is a contributor who leaves the team and is replaced by Jane the proposal will no longer reflect the original Name-Task layout over an 8 month period. Additionally roles may change over time between Core Contributors for various reasons.

However, there is a place on the dTech Notion front page “Delegations” where we have this information and will continue to do so. A place that can be easily updated:
https://www.notion.so/aragonorg/Current-Delegations-structure-b5de957925c44f2993d46e1f85e7053c

Additionally, any changes to the current team will be reported on in monthly reports.

Great news does this mean all the core members are coming in to Aragon 100% then, if so fantastic news!

I see MAS as a core piece of this as well so would be great to understand the split of resources just in % terms as they are different streams of work, agree Dtech should be performing it.

1 Like

Just a heads up the Charter Aragon Governance Proposal Process S 5 (f) states

f. Process for Financial Proposals and/or Other Proposals : in sequential order:
i. Public deliberation phase: A post with the draft of the proposal is posted in the Aragon
forum for a minimum of 7 days and maximum of 14 days with the format:

1. Title of Proposal (in the format “Financial Proposal:[title]”)

@brent to avoid the potential for a veto on a compliance technicality please update the title to the required format Financial Proposal: Aragon dtech Season 2

1 Like

@brent to avoid the potential for a veto on a compliance technicality please update the title to the required format Financial Proposal: Aragon dtech Season 2

Thank you @lee0007,
Noted and resolved.

Great news does this mean all the core members are coming in to Aragon 100% then, if so fantastic news!

I see MAS as a core piece of this as well so would be great to understand the split of resources just in % terms as they are different streams of work, agree Dtech should be performing it.

Yes they are all coming onboard… full time dedication and attention!

dTech is a team, we are all responsible for each of these deliverables as a team. While there is a lead on all initiatives, we are going to be shadowing each other on everything and sometimes doing more work on one deliverable than others. Notion already lists all of the “current delegations structure” and is linked to from the main dTech notion page. See me answer here also… Financial Proposal: Aragon dTech Season 2 - #9 by brent

I just noticed that you may need permission to view this… that will be updated to be included in a public area (pending some decisions about things being editable in a public view). Until then, please message me if you do not have access. Everyone at Aragon should be able to view

Totally understand your point for being one team, which is of course a good thing.

But I think that @Shawncubbedge point refers to accountability.

I am playing the devils advocate here:

If you are one team that has no tasks delegated, there is a chance that people will point to each other and things are not getting done (not saying this will happen, but it could).

In addition, without accountability to (specific/global) tasks, how are you going to manage “free-riding” (again not saying this will happen, but it could).

Every core contributor is paid equally, which is of course fine, but what if one is working 20 hours a week, and another core contributor is working 60 hours (to off-set the 20 hour working core contributor)?

Accountability to tasks is not fixed and can of course change during the season (due to priority chance or chance in the team), but a general overview for core members would be helpful

I think the proposal´s scope is quite broad (and therefore, the guild’s). Would be great to see it split into 2 streams: The core responsibilities, and how the squad needs resources to fulfill them (including current metrics), and the “experimental” responsibilities, allowing the DAO to better understand and evaluate the need for them, especially when it comes to future decisions of keep funding those initiatives or not.

Examples:

• Spanish support - We are still unsure it even makes sense to have it, and although it says there is no team member assigned to only do that, it still means there will be time allocation for this, and therefore, resources will be used.
  • Miragon - an AWESOME initiative, that for sure needs to be well coordinated with Comms guild - BUT, what is the result here? Are we getting traffic to those videos? Are they reducing tickets? Are they generating leads?

An additional question: How will the team assess appropriate compensation for technical bounties? Do we have the expertise for this (not saying we don’t, just curious).

To make it clear, I am not judging the scope, if it is needed or not, but rather trying to bring more visibility to all the readers.

2 Likes

Well explained, thank you.

Great news!!

On the split, I think I can see it looking at the proposal from Season 1. It looks like 35% ($16,000) support + Languages and 65% ($29,000) on the other deliverables (MAS, integrations and Videos). Does this look reasonable for the split in resource?

I really think this is important to measure the success of the different main deliverables

1. Support
  2. Translation
  3. Integrations
  4. MAS

and understand if there is to little or to much going to an overarching deliverable, I am less concerned on the breakdown of for example MAS but more is there enough allocated to make it a success.

3 Likes

Hey there!

Sorry for the late feedback, been super busy this week.

First of all, thanks to everyone who has contributed to the proposal.

Building on what Alex and Ramon have expressed as concerns and ideas. The initiatives in this proposal are quite distinct. It would be beneficial for the sustainability of both the proposal and the governance of the DAO to provide a breakdown of both budget and deliverables per initiative. This way, token holders can vote yes/no on funding each initiative instead of the entire bulky proposal. IMO this would decrease the chances of the whole proposal being voted down due to part of the proposal not being supported.

Taken just at face value, given the volume of support requests, the proposal implies a per ticket cost of Between $200-$600, with the typical range being $2-$50. Taking the upper bound of that range reasonable cost for support and documentation development would be something similar to the previous season at $16,000. There are clearly many more aspects that are not measured eg discord but there needs to be some sort of objective measurement.

The proposal offers a lot more, and a well-structured breakdown will help its fair evaluation. The Ops proposal can serve as a good example here. Could you please provide a breakdown of deliverables and budget (fixed core contributor compensation and anticipated bounties) across the following items:

• Continued support and documentation in English
  • Translation of documentation and establishing support in Spanish.
  • Integrations
  • MAS
  • Walkthrough videos

It would also be important to indicate the points of contact within the relevant core teams with which dTech will coordinate across each stream.

Please also note that the requested budget equates to a team of between 5 and 9 full-time contributors [depending on compensation ranges and based on Glassdoor figures for the US], which will be a benchmark token-holders will certainly consider and map against the proposed scope.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback @Joan_Arus. I know it takes a lot to go through all the proposals that are out there and read all the comments so it is nice to see you dedicating some of your attention here. I’ll try to address some of your comments:

Taken just at face value, given the volume of support requests, the proposal implies a per ticket cost of Between $200-$600

I can see your concern with numbers like that. I am not sure how you came up with $200 looks like it assumes technical support would be the only thing dTech is doing however, it is only a fraction of what is on dTech’s plate in this proposal. There is also fixing broken Aragon products and maintaining them, Integrations - Researching, testing and liaising with third parties for integrations like Otoco, Wall ID, Rain Cards which is something we have been pushed to do. Documentation management, videography, and technical support… all listed in the proposal. Maybe listing out some of the accomplishments dTech has done would really help show that dTech is doing a lot more than technical support.

similar to the previous season at $16,000

Previous proposals had lower compensation to build trust and confidence and also did not include all of the additional things that are in this proposal.

Please also note that the requested budget equates to a team of between 5 and 9 full-time contributors [depending on compensation ranges and based on Glassdoor figures for the US], which will be a benchmark token-holders will certainly consider and map against the proposed scope.

Some Glassdoor estimates. (This is base + benefits which are provided in Glassdoor compensation estimates. These are yearly salaries, based on Charlotte, NC which is a good medium cost of living city in the US).

Core Member compensation in this proposal broken down to a yearly salary, for comparison is $90,000/yr per contractor. The math for this is ($37500 monthly compensation / 5 Core Contributors) * 12 Months = $90k

I will take some of the other things you have mentioned into consideration and will update the proposal with the rest of the team.

• Spanish support - We are still unsure it even makes sense to have it, and although it says there is no team member assigned to only do that, it still means there will be time allocation for this, and therefore, resources will be used.

We had many very public discussions about this, discussions with those that it effects and should have input, 3 public deep democracy debates for anyone and everyone in the community and more discussions for the last two months including the dTech team, Shawn, fMurphy, Jessica Smith, and more. Support in Spanish does not require more resources as there are 3 people on the dTech team who speak fluent Spanish (Anson, Brent, and Camel) who can provide primarily support in English… and also Spanish. The Spanish initiative has stopped there with dTech and now sits with comms and community to push for Spanish further.

• Miragon - an AWESOME initiative, that for sure needs to be well coordinated with Comms guild - BUT, what is the result here? Are we getting traffic to those videos? Are they reducing tickets? Are they generating leads?
    This has been coordinated with comms. Getting traffic to them is being coordinated also. This part has not been left out.

Maybe the proposal could make some of this more clear @ramon.

2 Likes

Just noting that this if the June EOM report not End of Season which is currently due cc @SpectraCryptoVerse

Final Version of Proposal: Financial Proposal: Aragon dTech Season 2

To preserve the context of the feedback provided to date and due to significant edits and reformatting to address and incorporate community feedback the finalized version 1.2 of this proposal is posted here: Financial Proposal: Aragon dTech Season 2

1 Like