Upon further reflection, it was a mistake to request funds ad-hoc before a process to approve, verify, and compensate work in the Aragon Cooperative was established. I am retracting this proposal and have voted NO on all these votes.
Moving forward, I have created a temporary workflow proposal that the Aragon Cooperative could use to approve, verify, and fund work. You can find details on that in the link below.
The Aragon Cooperative received funds via AGP-40 almost a month ago. Since then work has been done and time has been spent. We’re at a point now where we need to reimburse work done in the past and determine work to do in the future. I have many thoughts on how we should move forward, but first we need to wrap up the past. That is what this post is about.
AGP-40 outlines the following deliverables for the Aragon Cooperative to fulfill:
- Cooperative DAO bylaws
- Membership on-boarding and off-boarding process
- Token(s) (definition and) allocation.
- Governance procedures
- Formulating Coop Projects and Grants Proposals
- Management of Community Fund DAO applications
- Further Coop AGP application construction
- Documentation of practice (education & knowledge sharing)
- Dogfooding and documentation of Aragon tooling and workflow
- Further suitable community-led, signalled and proposed opportunities
In the last 3 weeks I’ve contributed to the following deliverables:
- Token(s) (definition and) allocation: Coop DAO Docs defines how we could define Cooperative membership tokens and create a merit token to allocate funds towards deliverables and community contributions
- Governance procedures: I’ve contributed to several community discussions and presented several proposals.
- Documentation of practice (education & knowledge sharing): The Coop DAO Docs is a website that can inform people as to what the Cooperative is and what it does, and can be extended with guides and documentation to help educate the community.
- Dogfooding and documentation of Aragon tooling and workflow: The Coop DAO Docs model has an Aragon DAO demo to help the Cooperative measure and manage work being done by the community.
- Further suitable community-led, signaled and proposed opportunities: I’ve contributed significantly to discussions on how the Cooperative can contribute to supporting grass roots community ideas and curating proposals for the CFDAO.
Note: I worked on a lot of this with @lkngtn and other members of the Cooperative so this work was not done by me alone. I did contribute significantly though, and it took quite a bit of my time, so I’d like to be compensated for that time.
I’ll be the first to admit that I did not strictly track my hours while I did this work. Frankly I just did it for fun. That being said, money is how humans share and exchange value. If the work I’ve done has provided value to the Cooperative and moved us towards delivering on the scope of AGP-40, I’d like to be compensated for that.
I’m asking for 3 working days of compensation for the work I’ve done. This roughly breaks down to the following:
- 4hrs initial Cooperative meeting and follow-up discussions
- 4hrs token/doc discussions
- 8hrs building Coop DAO Docs
- 4hrs debugging Coop DAO Docs
- 4hrs governance discussions
At 300 DAI per day (the rate specified in AGP-40) that’s 900 DAI total.
I have created vote #23 to transfer this amount from the Cooperative vault to my account. If you would like to support this work please visit the Aragon Cooperative DAO and vote:
Looking at other recent requests for funding, it looks like we’re not all on the same page as to what qualifies as “work.” If we include things like “human relationship building”, exploration of Aragon tools, and general conversations (not aiming to solve a specific problem) in the definition of “work”, then I could easily add 3, 4, or even 5 extra days of compensation to my request. Frankly I don’t know how I feel about that. Time has been spent that will never be returned, but I don’t think wasted time is something we should encourage and reward.
With this in mind I’m reluctantly requesting 1 additional day of compensation for time spent that has mysteriously disappeared into the void without a tangible trace of productivity. I could make up fancy yet meaningless descriptions for this and pretend that it’s productive, but we all know it’s not. It’s the result of poor communication and an unorganized organization. As such I am calling it such. It has taken time from me that I will never get back. For this, I am requesting compensation for 1 working day @ 300 DIA via vote #24 in the Aragon Cooperative DAO. As per the example set by @sepu85, this is separated from time spent working on tangible deliverables.
Moving forward I don’t want to waste any more time. I want to make decisions and get stuff done. I want to build, not debate. To make this possible for the Cooperative I have created and presented a proposal that will help us get focused. This proposal has 1 goal: to create a way for us to approve, execute, and compensate work. We can build from there.