Aracon 2020 early location feedback request

Hello everyone,

we are currently in a very early exploratory phase for a potential Aracon v2 conference in 2020, given we received great feedback from the first one and believe to have created a lot of value for the whole Aragon ecosystem.

Berlin was a perfect location for it, but we are thinking about potential different locations for it, and would welcome the community’s input on this topic.

(NB: There is still no guarantee that any event will take place, as Aracon full AGP proposal will be prepared and submitted for a vote to tokenholders in order to set aside a budget for the conference)

From 1 to 5, how likely would you be to attend Aracon 2020 if it was in the following city?

Berlin

0 voters

A city in Mexico

0 voters

Buenos Aires

0 voters

An island in Greece

0 voters

Lisbon

0 voters

Thanks for your help everyone!

4 Likes

May I ask how did you come up with this selection of locations ? How Aragon define the potentiality of a location ?

I believe non of these locations are community dedicated options as non of them are specifically " crypto friendly, has mass community somehow or linked to decentralized governance somehow " .
+
Berlin is incomparable with the other options as it has purely way ahead from others regarding most headlines as the community, mental maturity, geographical easiness etc.

Also I believe this question needs to be supported by the idea of communication strategy and community impact perspective.

Why we need to be in this city ?
How we are going to use this location for the sake of the project ?
What is the message we plan to give with being in this city ?

Regards

M

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the comment.
All of these questions were asked, and this is what came out.

“Crypto friendly” is not really one of the requirements in my opinion.
Being easy to reach for the majority of the community members would be #1 (hence trying to figure out if there are many people in the Americas that would reach central America or even South America easily). For this Lisbon and Berlin seem like the top choices, with Berlin #1.

The message is also another part. By changing city we can cater to different parts of the community each time. Greece was an idea with the symbolism of the birth of democracy - but we’re exploring how it fares in terms of good venues / logistics.

I would really be interested in hearing about some cities you could suggest that would have good answers to the questions you are posing.

1 Like

Hello Stefano,

So basically there are two priorities as the accessibility and the ease of logistics. With the current selection. By far Berlin is the top of the top with the current list of selection. Buenos Aires would be interesting also ( America reach subject )

In the mean time one comment about the Greece option, I like the symbolism behind it but at the same time organizing the event on an island would be a little difficult in terms of the two priorities, maybe Athens can be an option with a better reach to the targeted priorities.

Also on the other hand the community, marketing and the public relations part should enter the game. Do we want to recruit more community members or we want to strengthen the relation with the current ones or we want to do both but pick one of them as priority ? As an example ; Istanbul is not in the selection but maybe your prior target is to recruit new people to your community and one level under it’s the Turkish community. Covering your marketing or recruitment strategy etc. Maybe you’d like to improve your awareness by the devs and freelancers, so Kyiv or Warsaw ? I mean the number of selections may vary depending on the core target and surroundings.

The main target with it surroundings, the balance between the fun & penetration, expectations for the return of investment. ( Not the money itself, mainly the time and the effort )

M

Great comments here.
Istanbul is definitely interesting given the adoption numbers there. I think Istanbulites could also use a little bit more informed community guidance about BC & DAOs, than just mere trading.
We have spoken with @jorge about potentially organizing something there. I think you could also be very helpful on that front in case there is a decision to go forward with it.

Yeah - Istanbul is a good option.

The tricky thing to manage is how much we want to “onboard” a new community vs how much to cater to the current one - and the mismatch in size of the two

I’ll be around for sure, as you’ve said Turkish community needs time. Istanbul was just an example for the variety of locations, for the maturity, I totally agree with you.

Also, thinking out loud, a decentralized Aracon also could be an interesting idea. Close time zones, 2-3-4 locations, live stream from each one of them for a specific topic, activities/interactivity possibilities between the locations, joint presentations etc.

I know the amount of work, human power and needed resources won’t be the same compared to a classical con but, as I’ve said thinking out loud :slight_smile:

M

1 Like

That’s exactly what I was trying to figure out. Originally thought of as a central location with a few offshoot locations that would essentially play the videos at the same time (say we start 9am CET, at 6PM CET the conference would start in PT time) - but simultaneous one could be cool for a few hours for sure!

1 Like

Actually 3-4 hours difference covering the day time should be fine so basically covering all the Europe maybe ? Aracon Europe, Aracon America, Aracon Asia… Continent by continent and decentralized inside. Asia may be a little China oriented but this solution also might be a good approach for the America ( North/South) part.

To add to this discussion, these are the top cities/ countries shown in our Matomo analytics dashboard for the month of August:

aragon.org

Cities:
Screenshot_2019-09-12%20Website%20-%20Web%20Analytics%20Reports%20-%20Matomo(1)

Countries:
Screenshot_2019-09-12%20Website%20-%20Web%20Analytics%20Reports%20-%20Matomo

blog.aragon.org

Cities:
Screenshot_2019-09-12%20Project%20Blog%20-%20August%202019%20-%20Web%20Analytics%20Reports%20-%20Matomo

Countries:
Screenshot_2019-09-12%20Project%20Blog%20-%20August%202019%20-%20Web%20Analytics%20Reports%20-%20Matomo(1)

hack.aragon.org

Cities:
Screenshot_2019-09-12%20Dev%20portal%20-%20September%202019%20-%20Web%20Analytics%20Reports%20-%20Matomo

Countries:
Screenshot_2019-09-12%20Dev%20portal%20-%20Web%20Analytics%20Reports%20-%20Matomo

4 Likes

If we are able to add to the list of these 5, I would like to suggest Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada as my first choice.

Security is important. I wouldn’t include places with major warfare or security issues (Mexico).

1 Like

thanks - any particular reason? Seems fairly far away from Europe - where a lot of the community is. Closer to SF for sure. But maybe Toronto could be a better choice for one of the next ones?

London is the best spot (not biased at all😆)

It has a strong blockchain startup community and it’s close to me.

Nice data here :slight_smile: I believe the Formula may be ;

Sum up of this data + Community recruitment targets + 2 priorities (Ease of access + Logistics)

I vote for any places outside of North America since I live there. My absolutely objective view. LOL.

With all seriousness though, I think the Aragon team should communicate a framework of the decision making process. Once the framework is set, it’s easier for people to chime in without feeling like being pulled in all directions.

1 Like

Andalucia, Spain! :star_struck::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: