The Advice App
The idea behind the Advice App is to provide a generic, simple, agile and straightforward way for Aragon Org users to run their daily operations. It is most adapted to an environment where participants are identified and therefore accountable.
Some areas where I could see it adopted:
- Sub DAO’s used by Flock teams and Nest teams for their operations
- Working Groups when they have more operational capabilities
The way we make decisions daily
Currently our main tool to make legitimate decisions is coin/1p1v voting.
While more efficient consensus building tools are being researched and will be in production in the near future (dot voting, conviction voting…). I feel that there is still a gap between general consensus and how we make most decisions daily.
Indeed, creating consensus gives legitimacy to decisions but it bears significant frictions and frustrations.
On the other hand, when making most of our daily decisions, we simply ping relevant persons for advice and take action.
Principles of the Advice process
"It comes in many forms, but the essence is consistent: any person can make any decision after seeking advice from 1) everyone who will be meaningfully affected, and 2) people with expertise in the matter.
Advice received must be taken into consideration. The point is not to create a watered-down compromise that accommodates everybody’s wishes. It is about accessing collective wisdom in pursuit of a sound decision. With all the advice and perspectives the decision maker has received, they choose what they believe to be the best course of action. "
“In Teal organizations decision-making is highly distributed. Front-line individuals or teams have the opportunity to make decisions that affect their work. While these decisions may not need to be validated by a hierarchy or consensus, it is expected that experts, and those affected, should be involved. – Reinventing Organizations Wiki”
Formalizing this into an app
The main purpose of having this into an Aragon App is to be able to make this practice accessible and easy to implement by any Aragon user.
The advices and corresponding actions are recorded within the app. This helps study how a given organization operates and ensures participants are accountable.
How the app would work
- Advice app membership can be permissioned or not and granted by specific token
- Being part of the Advice App would grant you a new set of permissions (to finances for example)
- In pseudonymous DAOs, people may have to lock some stake to participate. In case of there is a problem it can get slashed.
- Someone wants to make a valuable contribution
- He/she pings competent people through the advice app
- In the UI you can see the ledger of all advices asked, the status and their answers
- Answers to advices are not yes/no based, they are qualitative first --> using the ‘rich discussions’ feature of Aragon DAO’s or some external repo if not supported
- The proposer can chose to move forward or not, only once they have collected all the advices (or a significant enough portion of them)
- If the proposer fails repetititvely to deliver and doesn’t listen to advices, it can be spotted in the app and acted upon
Tools like Loomio have already been used to implement a similar process (also). But I believe that the security and permission system of the Aragon Org makes it an even better system to support the Advice process.
Happy to rework the description to make it viable.
Note: The app and process described here are directly inspired from the book “Reinventing Organization” by Frederic Laloux
Actions steps for the app
- See if there is any interest for such app
- If not, drop the idea
- If yes, see if any Flock team is intereted to implement
- If not, create a Nest proposal and look for a team that is willing to do it