Description of desired Association policy change
The aim of this AGP is to create a comprehensive Bug Bounty Program for all funded Aragon applications and tooling.
Bug Bounty Scope
The scope of the Aragon Association Bug Bounty Program will be expanded to make all Nest grantees and Flock team applications eligible. Applications will only be accepted into the bug bounty program if they have undergone a security audit, incorporated all major and critical security audit recommendations, and shipped to mainnet.
Bug Bounty Levels
The Aragon Association Bug Bounty Program would increase the Bug Bounty rewards.
Currently the Aragon Association Bug Bounty program covers:
- Critical (CVSS 9.0 - 10.0): $5,000 - $50,000
- Major (CVSS 7.0 - 8.9): $2,500 - $5,000
- Medium (CVSS 4.0 - 6.0): $1,000 - $2,500
- Low (CVSS 1.0 - 3.9): $500 - $1,000
If we are spending millions of dollars on Flock teams and hundreds of thousands of dollars on Nest projects, we can at least spend a little more on our bug bounties. Aragon DAOs currently hold hundreds of thousands of dollars in thier vaults, and soon that will be millions. Paying out $10,000 for a critical vulnerability is simply insufficient.
The Aragon Association Bug Bounty program will be upgraded to the following levels:
- Critical (CVSS 9.0 - 10.0): $50,000 - $150,000
- Major (CVSS 7.0 - 8.9): $25,000 - $50,000
- Medium (CVSS 4.0 - 6.0): $10,000 - $25,000
- Low (CVSS 1.0 - 3.9): $5000 - $10,000
Considering that these bounties will only be paid out in the case that there is a problem, it’s a small price to pay to minimize mission critical errors and build trust in Aragon as a platform.
Motivation for changing this Association policy
People are wary of DAOs because of “the DAO” hack. For people to trust (and thus use) Aragon we need to go above and beyond to prove that the Aragon platform, and all major releases of Aragon apps, are secure. This is easier said than done.
- Security audits are not perfect. Even with an audit all you know is what was reported. They might have missed something.
- Security audits are highly technical and the process is opaque to people who are not involved in the Ethereum security commuinty.
- Security audits are expensive. Having strategic and financial help to navigate that negotiation is extremely important!
Aragon is trying to attract talent and users. Having the worlds easiest to build on and most secure platform is a huge selling point. If developers see that they will have help shipping professional and production ready applications they are more likely to choose to build on Aragon vs other platforms. If users trust that all major Aragon apps are secure, they’re more likely to use them. To do this we need a multi layered approach to security. This can include audits for all major projects (Nest and Flock) as well as a comprehensive Bug Bounty program that covers all major apps. This is a small price to pay to establish credibility and trust in the Aragon platform and developer ecosystem.
This proposal is inspired by @stellarmagnet’s post on Upgrading the Bug Bounty program. Ideas are easy, but shipping a polished, secure, and usable app to production is hard. Thank you for bringing this up and starting the conversation!
Link to AGP
- The official AGP for this proposal can be found here.