Impact-oriented Economy research

Greetings folks! My name is Mike, I am a researcher and a member of the Impact Hub community. For the last 6 month I was involved into impact activities and several months ago I’ve found a core problem of the impact industry - the gap between impact contributors like corporations and governments and impact makers like NGOs and social enterprises, that lead to the problems of economic inequality, lack of resources available for impact industry and media effects like greenwashing. To solve this problem I started to study the subject and have got the conclusion that there is a missing part - a viable economic model that would enable analytical link between contributors and receivers. As a basis I am using a macroeconomic approach known as Modern Monetary Theory, that opens a possibility to describe the impact community as a digital nation and issue an internal unit of account following the example of Central Bank Digital Currency. The crucial part of it is governance and I believe that Aragon DAO is a perfect solution for it.

I composed a description of the research and would like to share it here with you. It will take me a couple of months to get results and compose the report that I am planning to present to the top managers and influencers of the Impact Hub Global community during the Impact Hub Global Gathering: Vision 2030. It is a great chance to integrate more than 16000 people all over the world with the Aragon ecosystem!
I am very open to critics and questions, I would appreciate a lot if you could point to unclear moments and give me feedback on this subject!

UPDATE
I’ve got information about possible use-cases that impact industry needs:

1. Reputation tokens that can be used to reward members for their activity - during the pandemic there were several ideas to reward people that help to maintain the community by holding or participating in online events, webinars etc.
  2. P2P collaboration tracking integrated with reputation system - most of the members are helping each with free services, mentorship or assistance and they would like to keep accountant of such interaction and be rewarded.
5 Likes

Super interesting! I’m putting the feedback on the document. I leave this comment here because its seems more relevant than to put it in the comments…
I have been in the the corporate side of the development sector (Impact sector, as you call it in the paper) so I will try to give my perspective too :slight_smile: Happy to discuss further!

1 Like

Thank you for your contributions!:heart_eyes: I submit some changes and commented too)
I would like to post here discussion about philanthropic and investment funding as a drive of the industry. My opinion that philanthropic funding is less effective in terms of facilitating the economy because it does not requires accountable outputs (like revenue or turnover) in compare to investments. But I admit that philanthropic funding supports impact industry a lot and there should be output tracking mechanisms in impact-oriented economy that provides some “impact returns” accounting for non-profit organizations

Also I’ve got information about possible use-cases that impact industry needs:

1. Reputation tokens that can be used to reward members for their activity - during the pandemic there were several ideas to reward people that help to maintain the community by holding or participating in online events, webinars etc.
  2. P2P collaboration tracking integrated with reputation system - most of the members are helping each with free services, mentorship or assistance and they would like to keep accountant of such interaction and be rewarded.

I had a brief conversation with @jeffemmett about common stack, he kindly shared with me the article Architecting the Cyber-Physical Commons that reflected my own thoughts about the economic architecting. Thanks a lot for this :slight_smile:
So I decided to review my own approach to business tokenization and design a hypothesis of economic model that is compliant with principals of smart conglomerate organization.
Here what I’ve got, its a hypothetical model that reflects my own vision of economy functioning:
economic%20model-2
full description in the document in section Hypothesis

1 Like