EthDAO: Making Ethereum great again

When you say the developer site, you’re referring to hack.aragon right?
If so, then I’m thinking that (Name TBD) it could be something that lives in parallel, but that’s more interactive and community based. There’s lots of great resoruces in hack.aragon and the broader ecosystem, and people can use that to build stuff, but then might want help getting refining their ideas or contributing to more than a Hello World app. A framework and community can help with that by creating open issues with bounties (see rewards section) from a “wishlist” (like these or these. It would also be fun to create challenges where people can compete/collaborate for prizes, but that’s just a dream. Anyways… for all this to happen there would need to be better docs around new Aragon apps, better user onboarding guides for DAOs, and some existing demos (like the Coop DAO Demo) to set an example and provide inspiration. These things can and probably will get done, eventually, by someone… but I thought I’d get the ball rolling. That’s what this is. I’m creating things I want to see in the world. Sorry if they’re a little disorganized, but it’s a WIP :slight_smile:

Speaking of WIP, here’s the evolution of the project:

72hrs ago the Aragon Cooperative had a meeting to discuss the outcome of AGP-40 and decided that we needed to set a direction for the coop with clear goals and deliverables. A few working groups were formed and agreed to create proposals on what that might look like. I was the lead on OWL (ongoing work-based learning) and also a participant in the Coop Workflow Proposal. As I said in the meeting, I want to create things that allow the community to self organize with minimal overhead, dogfood the Aragon apps to showcase what they can do, and create a framework of incentives around community education so that more people use and build stuff with Aragon.

48hrs ago @lkngtn built a DAO to demo his ideas in Cooperative Workflow Proposal. I thought that was awesome so I started building docs to help explain how it works. I started in HackMD, but that was too clunky. Then tried Gitbook, but it’s not very collaborative. Then I discovered Docusaurus. After playing around with Docusaurus, it became clear that distinct siloed piles of documents is silly. The whole point of DAOs and Aragon is to create communities. You can’t create a community around docs. Docs are important, but only if people read them. With that in mind, Docusaurus has lots of great features built into it’s template that allows for social and technical integration to create a dynamic ecosystem around a project. This is perfect for The Coop because our goal is to support Aragon community members creating cool things they want to see in the world via Aragon apps. This requires social engagement/sharing, education/docs/onboarding (docs), and demos/tutorials/bounties (TPS GitHub integration). The Coop does all that.

24 hrs ago it was clear that Docusaurus was awesome so I pivoted towards building a (free) website for the Aragon Cooperative that would be more dynamic and interactive than just docs. I wanted to build something that would make it easier for people to find information and engage with the Aragon Cooperative. The Aragon Cooperative could then fill the website with whatever content they wanted. Since we are in the process of creating proposals for how the organization should move forward after AGP-40, I filled it with content that reflects the proposal I wanted to see (a combination of the Coop Workflow Proposal and some brainstorming discussions and OWL).

Since then, members of the Aragon Cooperative (really just @julian and @sepu85) are giving me pushback even though I’m following the very processes they defined and agreed to in the Aragon Cooperative meeting. This is frustrating, and I’m no longer enthusiastic about volunteering my time unless the broader Aragon Cooperative signal that value my contributions (@lkngtn is the Aragon Cooperative DAO equipped to use the signalling app?). That being said, I still love Aragon and DAOs and want to keep building and moving forward. I forked my own project and am now exploring taking it in a different direction. As I started doing research on what that might look like, I came across @luis’s post on dev UX and it reminded me about this thread talking about dev UX, so I thought I’d share the idea. Here we are.

I agree that the naming collision is a problem. I opened an issue yesterday to fix that. It’s a WIP, but originally this project was intended to be a proposal for the Aragon Cooperative so the name made sense. If Aragon Cooperative community members signal that they value my contributions, I’ll keep working on them and submit a proposal. If the Aragon Cooperative community members vote that they like this idea then it can become part of the Aragon Cooperative. If Aragon Cooperative community members vote that they do not like this idea, then of course it would be required to change the name immediately! As is, it doesn’t really matter because the Coop is an autonomous organization managed by members who make decisions via voting. There’s nothing wrong with building a side project and presenting it as an option for the group to consider. In GitHub terms, it’s an Issue that might become a PR, and might get merged if the project maintainers want to. The Aragon Coop members are in control of this process.

I came here to empower freedom by creating tools for decentralized governance at the speed of software. I think that’s what I’m doing. If not, please let me know :slight_smile:

Let’s break the :chicken::egg:
Not sure what you meant here. Is this another reference to the naming collision, or something else?